* CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13  9:06 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-12-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CML2, kbuild-devel

The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/

Release 1.9.8: Thu Dec 13 03:52:38 EST 2001
	* Rulebase and help sync with 2.4.17-pre8/2.5.1-pre11.
	* Saveability predicate simplified drastically.

This is a point release intended for Keith Owens to test.  He has
reported a bug that different front ends save out different sets of symbols
set to n; all the variants are logically equivalent, so this is strictly
speaking only a cosmetic bug.  This release attempts to fix the problem by
simplifying the code that determines whether a symbol is eligible to be
saved out.

The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything
which would be unlawful for them to do themselves.
	-- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"

* Re: CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13  9:30 ` David Lang
From: David Lang @ 2001-12-13  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel

does this problem (and fix) also apply to the adventure mode (just
checking to see how unified the output section really is :-)

David Lang

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:06:37 -0500
> From: Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>
> To: CML2 <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, kbuild-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: CML2 1.9.8
>
> The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/
>
> Release 1.9.8: Thu Dec 13 03:52:38 EST 2001
> 	* Rulebase and help sync with 2.4.17-pre8/2.5.1-pre11.
> 	* Saveability predicate simplified drastically.
>
> This is a point release intended for Keith Owens to test.  He has
> reported a bug that different front ends save out different sets of symbols
> set to n; all the variants are logically equivalent, so this is strictly
> speaking only a cosmetic bug.  This release attempts to fix the problem by
> simplifying the code that determines whether a symbol is eligible to be
> saved out.
> --
>
> The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything
> which would be unlawful for them to do themselves.
> 	-- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"
> -

* Re: [kbuild-devel] CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13 12:02 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-12-13 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:06:37 -0500,
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/
>
>Release 1.9.8: Thu Dec 13 03:52:38 EST 2001
>	* Rulebase and help sync with 2.4.17-pre8/2.5.1-pre11.
>	* Saveability predicate simplified drastically.
>
>This is a point release intended for Keith Owens to test.

Tested oldconfig, menuconfig, xconfig - all give the same results now.
Even better, the change means that the CML2 output is now much closer
to the config generated by CML1.  There are some minor differences
between CML1 and CML2 generated configs but those could be due to
better validation in CML2, I will follow those up in a separate mail.
Looking good.

* Re: CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13 15:47   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-12-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lang; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel

David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com>:
> does this problem (and fix) also apply to the adventure mode (just
> checking to see how unified the output section really is :-)

I think the pattern was menuconfig doing one thing and all the other front
ends (including cmladvent.py) doing something else.  But Keith says it's
fixed now.

  "You have taught us much. Come with us and join the movement."
  "This movement of yours, does it have slogans?" inquired the Chink.
  "Right on!" they cried. And they quoted him some.
  "Your movement, does it have a flag?" asked the Chink.
  "You bet!" and they described their emblem.
  "And does your movement have leaders?"
  "Great leaders."
  "Then shove it up your butts," said the Chink. "I have taught you nothing."

	-- Tom Robbins, "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues"

* Re: [kbuild-devel] CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13 15:48   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-12-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: CML2, kbuild-devel

Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>:
> Tested oldconfig, menuconfig, xconfig - all give the same results now.
> Even better, the change means that the CML2 output is now much closer
> to the config generated by CML1.  There are some minor differences
> between CML1 and CML2 generated configs but those could be due to
> better validation in CML2, I will follow those up in a separate mail.
> Looking good.

Excellent!

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity
of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear
and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor
camp, the psychiatric ward.	-- Edward Abbey

* Re: CML2 1.9.8
@ 2001-12-13 22:16   ` Richard Todd
From: Richard Todd @ 2001-12-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lang; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, CML2, kbuild-devel

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:30:53AM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> does this problem (and fix) also apply to the adventure mode (just
> checking to see how unified the output section really is :-)

Yes.

I've tried it and it made the outputs the same for me..

Note that it wasn't as simple as a different output from the
*configs.  Only after three consecutive runs of oldconfig
(starting from nothing) did my config.out stabilize before.

As was noted, the only 'problem' was that it was hard to be warm and
fuzzy about the outputs producing the same kernel in the end.

Richard