Hi, On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:04:59PM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: > One particular application for which gcc 3.x *and* gcc 2.96.x are > seriously deficient, at least on Intel/AMD 32-bit systems, is the > high-performance linear algebra library Atlas. As a result, *my* default > for compiling numerical applications is the Atlas-recommended one, > 2.95.3. For the kernel, I use whatever the Red Hat 7.2 default is. One of the problems of gcc-3 is taking decisions when to inline and when not. This can hurt numerical code a lot, especially C++. You may want to use -finline-limit-XXX to tune. http://www.garloff.de/kurt/freesoft/gcc/ v1 of my patch went into 3.0.3, some version (don't know which) into mainline, so 3.0.3 should do better. Regards, -- Kurt Garloff Eindhoven, NL GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, DE SCSI, Security