From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Cc: linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: zero copy.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:59:36 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

Hi,

Is linux able to do zero copy?

I remember from previous discussions that there was always a camp
that would claim that the copy was free because of the checksum,
and/or the other way around. And warming the cache on input would
prove to eliminate almost all overhead.

I have an application where the bulk of the data is NOT generated or
consumed by the CPU, in fact, the CPU does not have enough bandwidth
to move all the data. We really need to have the DMA-devices go and
get the data for themselves....

So far, I'm finding more or less unavoidable copy to/from user calls
in both the tcp send and the tcp recieve path.....

Suggestions?

			Roger.

* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.