On 05-May 11:10, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: > On Sun, 5 May 2002, Denis Vlasenko wrote: > [snip] > As you can probably guess, this sort of thing is one of the issues that > my "COUGAR" proposal corrects. I leave design issues to the designers, > but one thing I insist on is that there *be* requirements -- > *documented* requirements -- and a *documented* and debated design > *before* hacking the code into the kernel and making implementation > decisions. ...and here is where you sliped the track. Linux is designed by those who post patches and lobby for thier use. If something doesn't work for you post *patches* that fix it. Complaints that you don't have time to work around current code gets you nothing. As far as I can see, the reason that staticis now live in /proc/partitions is that there was code _submitted_ (the sar patches) to collect the staticis. If you have a better patch I, for one, would love to see it. I don't think IO statistics shareing /proc/partitons is great *design* but it was thought it would break the least tools out there. > > Of course, since I would be the designer of at least part of "COUGAR", I > would be making some of those decisions. Unfortunately, I have limited > time to work on "COUGAR" until maybe late July, so if someone wants to > pick up some of the balls and run with them, I'm willing to unload them. > (Apologies if my metaphor jars those of you who live where football is > played without the use of hands :). > > This is a process I highly recommend for performance-determining parts > of Linux, like memory management and the scheduler. I know the memory > management and scheduler gurus -- Rik, Andrea, Ingo and others -- *have* > designs in their heads, *have* requirements that they're working to -- I > just think we should be sharing and debating *those* on the list instead > of just code and benchmark results. Everyone loves the debate, but if no code is ever show all we get out of it _is_ the debate. How many times has this happened on this subject (widely taken as the /proc/* debate)? I've seen lots of hot air, but little code. Just my take, Thomas Zimmerman