* GPG/PGP-signatures
@ 2002-08-27 16:59 John L. Males
From: John L. Males @ 2002-08-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

David,

I just discovered your eMail posting on "GPG/PGP-signatures" of 14
August 2002.  Your eMail indicated that I was BCC'ed in.  I can advise
you I did not receive a copy of this posting.

I have checked the key server and find the key for the ID of this
eMail note to be there.  I did eMAil you back after loading my key to
confirm that I had correctly uploaded my GPG key to the key server.
My PGP keys have been on the keyserver for some time.  I use PGP on
Windows NT when it is working (Been down since Mid may), and GPG on
Linux.  At some point I will manage to move over to GPG keys on NT.  I
would be happy to upload my other GPG keys to the key server once I am
certain I have uploaded my keys correctly.

Would you be so kind as to confirm I have uploaded my key for the
below noted eMail address ID.  Sorry of the manner I am using for
hiding my eMail address makes things difficult, but at 20- 30 SPAM
eMails a day I had to take action to prevent further abuse of my eMail
addresses.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
27 August 2002 12:59

List:     linux-kernel
Subject:  GPG/PGP-signatures
From:     David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
Date:     2002-08-14 21:04:50
[Download message RAW]

I think that it is great that people GPG/PGP-sign their posts
(and I intend to start doing so myself, as soon as I get proper
connectivity at home, and thus don't have to send all e-mail via a
remote server where I don't want to store my private key), but when
the
public keys are unavailable, hard to obtain, or invalid for one reason
or another, the signing is useless.

I've monitored the use of signatures on the list the last few
months, and have come up with this list of people whose signatures
I've been unable to find (neither available on wwwkeys.pgp.net nor
has a x-pgp or x-gpg header saying where to download the key):

Justin Carlson		C1A06FBE
Florent Chabaud		95C81C3C
Thomas Duffy		38F3C1BC
David Fries		CB1EE8F0
Roger Gammans		88DE0B3E
Austin Gonyou		59853282
Josh Litherland		893D9228
Brandon Low		1F012DC6
John L. Males		99ED3565
Brendan W. McAdams	82306710
Solomon Peachy		2DBBE7D0
Joe Radinger		F957E8F3
Udo A. Steinberg	233B9D29
Gianni Tedesco		8646BE7D
Martin Waitz		DFE80FB2
Derek James Witt	972FE938
Wiktor Wodecki		A1559FE7
Pete de Zwart		984AF710

I've bcc:d all of the above.

For those who who possibly don't know how to upload their public key
to a public server, here's how:

gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --send-keys <keyid>

Regards: David Weinehall (0xdc47ca16)
--
 /> David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      <\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //

List:     linux-kernel
Subject:  Re: GPG/PGP-signatures
From:     David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
Date:     2002-08-14 23:22:42
[Download message RAW]

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:04:50PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> I think that it is great that people GPG/PGP-sign their posts
> (and I intend to start doing so myself, as soon as I get proper
> connectivity at home, and thus don't have to send all e-mail via a
> remote server where I don't want to store my private key), but when
> the public keys are unavailable, hard to obtain, or invalid for one
> reason or another, the signing is useless.
>
> I've monitored the use of signatures on the list the last few
> months, and have come up with this list of people whose signatures
> I've been unable to find (neither available on wwwkeys.pgp.net nor
> has a x-pgp or x-gpg header saying where to download the key):
>
> Justin Carlson		C1A06FBE
> Florent Chabaud		95C81C3C
> Thomas Duffy		38F3C1BC
> David Fries		CB1EE8F0
> Roger Gammans		88DE0B3E
> Austin Gonyou		59853282
> Josh Litherland		893D9228
> Brandon Low		1F012DC6
> John L. Males		99ED3565
> Brendan W. McAdams	82306710
> Solomon Peachy		2DBBE7D0
> Joe Radinger		F957E8F3
> Udo A. Steinberg	233B9D29
> Gianni Tedesco		8646BE7D
> Martin Waitz		DFE80FB2
> Derek James Witt	972FE938
> Wiktor Wodecki		A1559FE7
> Pete de Zwart		984AF710
>
> I've bcc:d all of the above.
>
> For those who who possibly don't know how to upload their public key
> to a public server, here's how:
>
> gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --send-keys <keyid>

As a followup to my own post, I found the public keys for the
following
persons on search.keyserver.net (thanks to Roger Gammans for the
hint!);

Brandon Low
Solomon Peachy
Pete de Zwart
Gianno Tedesco (seems to have a broken mail-client; the signatures on
his posts are BAD, at least according to mutt/gnupg v1.0.7)
Roger Gammans

Finally a recommendation:

add

x-gpg-fingerprint: <fingerprint>
x-gpg-key: <url to your key or a keyserver>

to your mail-headers.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /> David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      <\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //
\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire
</==================================================================

and second I am suffering BIG time with SPAM
from posting to mailing lists/Newsgroups.
Instructions on real address at bottom.
Thanks in advance. *****

Please BCC me by replacing after the "@" as follows:
TLD =         The last three letters of the word "internet"
Domain name = The first four letters of the word "software",
              followed by the first four letters of the word
              "homeless".
My appologies in advance for the jumbled eMail address
and request to BCC me, but SPAM has become a very serious
problem.  The eMail address in my header information is
not a valid eMail address for me.  I needed to use a valid
domain due to ISP SMTP screen rules.

Please note: You may experience delays in my replies.  I will
             reply.

             This is due to major restoration activity to my riser
             section of the building.

             My internet access will be limited to a couple weekday
             evenings.  Weekend access will be a bit better but
             limited as an indirect consequence of the restoration
             work.

             If for any reason you need a more immediate reply or
             fail to receive a reply, please phone and leave a
             message.  If you do leave a phone message, please note
             that I may not be able to hear the message and/or
             reply until the evening.  This will be due to the
             extensive noise levels of the restoration work
             activity drowning out most other volume levels of
             sound.

             The work starts 22 July 2002.  Based on similar
             experience to other sections of the building I would
             estimate the major noise element of the work to be
             about 4+ weeks for my riser.  There will be secondary
             instances once other ajacent riser sections are done
             that will have a similar impact, but for lessor
             periods of time.

             My appologies in advance, but this is mandated work
             that must be done.

[-- Attachment #1.2: 12 --]

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:45:07 -0400
From: "John L. Males" <jlmales@softhome.net>
To: jlmales@softhome.net
Cc: jlmales@softhome.net
Subject: Re[03]: Your public GPG-key

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_jive-14695-1024710377-0001-2

David,

I believe I was able to load my GnuPGP key for this eMail ID of mine
to wwwkeys.pgp.net.  Would you be able to confirm you can verify my
signature at your end?

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
21 June 2002 21:45
mailto:jlmales@softhome.net

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:25:57 -0400
On (Fri) 2002-06-21 19:25:57 -0400
John L. Males wrote in Message-ID:
20020621192557.1b745e2f.jlmales@softhome.net

To: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
From: "John L. Males" <jlmales@softhome.net>
Subject: Re[02]: Your public GPG-key
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:25:57 -0400

> Hi David,
>
> I have not uploaded my public GnuPGP key as yet.  I did not expect
> to be doing so much eMail from ly Linux system so I have forgotton
> to. My PGP keys are uploaded and have been for some time.  I will
> upload my public keys.  I use PG with my Pegasus Mail program.  So
> far the GunPGP support in Pegasus has been very limited and unstable
> thus far.
>  I will try load my GnuPGP public keys in the next hour or so.  I
>  will
> upload my keys to the wwwkeys.pgp.net server.  If you feel I should
> send my keys elsewhere, just let me know where else I should.
>
> I want to convert to Linux, but had a few apps I need outstanding.
> Sylpheed is starting to meet my Pegaus Mail needs, there are a
> couple others, but mostly now I need to update beyond the SuSE 6.4,
> and then convert as much as can be of my Windows NT over.  On the
> latter I om still in a repair of yet another FS crash.  I will need
> to keep Windows NT about for various needs, but at least I hope to
> be on Linux for most of my day to day needs. :))  I am also trying
> to round out my VM test programs and then do more recent VM testing.
>  That has had
> some distractions as I have found a few gcc or glibc bugs preventing
> my VM test code from working.  I am now in process of trying to
> isolate the bugs and confirm if they still exist in more recent
> releases.
>

> Regards,
>
> John L. Males
> Willowdale, Ontario
> Canada
> 21 June 2002 19:25
> mailto:jlmales@softhome.net
>

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:21:46 +0200
> On (Fri) 2002-06-21 23:21:46 +0200
> David Weinehall wrote in Message-ID:
> 20020621232146.R8523@khan.acc.umu.se
>
> To: jlmales@softhome.net
> From: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
> Subject: Your public GPG-key
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:21:46 +0200
>
> > Since you are signing your posts to the Linux-kernel Mailing-list
> > with GnuPG/PGP, I'd like to have your public key. I'm not able to
> > find it on wwwkeys.pgp.net, the largest keyserver online. Do you
> > keep it on any other server, or have you forgotten to upload it to
> > the public?
> >

> > Regards: David Weinehall
> >   _
> >
> >   _
> >  // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander
> >
> >  \\
> > //  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter
> > sky//\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire
> >
> > </

> "Boooomer ... Boom Boom, how are you Boom Boom" Boomer 1985 -
> February/2000

"Boooomer ... Boom Boom, how are you Boom Boom" Boomer 1985 -
February/2000
--=_jive-14695-1024710377-0001-2

--=_jive-14695-1024710377-0001-2--

[-- Attachment #1.3: 13 --]

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:25:57 -0400
From: "John L. Males" <jlmales@softhome.net>
To: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
Cc: jlmales@softhome.net

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_jive-14047-1024702065-0001-2

To: jlmales@softhome.net
From: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
Subject: Your public GPG-key
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:21:46 +0200

> Since you are signing your posts to the Linux-kernel Mailing-list
> with GnuPG/PGP, I'd like to have your public key. I'm not able to
> find it on wwwkeys.pgp.net, the largest keyserver online. Do you
> keep it on any other server, or have you forgotten to upload it to
> the public?
>

> Regards: David Weinehall
>   _
>   _
>  // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander
>  \\
> //  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky
> //\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire
> </

"Boooomer ... Boom Boom, how are you Boom Boom" Boomer 1985 -
February/2000
--=_jive-14047-1024702065-0001-2

--=_jive-14047-1024702065-0001-2--

[-- Attachment #1.4: 3618 --]

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:21:46 +0200
From: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
To: jlmales@softhome.net

Since you are signing your posts to the Linux-kernel Mailing-list with
GnuPG/PGP, I'd like to have your public key. I'm not able to find it on
wwwkeys.pgp.net, the largest keyserver online. Do you keep it on any
other server, or have you forgotten to upload it to the public?

Regards: David Weinehall
  _                                                                 _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      \\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //
\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire           </

* Re: GPG/PGP-signatures
@ 2002-08-27 23:32 ` David Weinehall
From: David Weinehall @ 2002-08-27 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:59:14PM -0400, John L. Males wrote:
> David,
>
> I just discovered your eMail posting on "GPG/PGP-signatures" of 14
> August 2002.  Your eMail indicated that I was BCC'ed in.  I can advise
> you I did not receive a copy of this posting.

Sorry, probably missed you out.

> I have checked the key server and find the key for the ID of this
> eMail note to be there.  I did eMAil you back after loading my key to
> confirm that I had correctly uploaded my GPG key to the key server.
> My PGP keys have been on the keyserver for some time.  I use PGP on
> Windows NT when it is working (Been down since Mid may), and GPG on
> Linux.  At some point I will manage to move over to GPG keys on NT.  I
> would be happy to upload my other GPG keys to the key server once I am
> certain I have uploaded my keys correctly.
>
> Would you be so kind as to confirm I have uploaded my key for the
> below noted eMail address ID.  Sorry of the manner I am using for
> hiding my eMail address makes things difficult, but at 20- 30 SPAM
> eMails a day I had to take action to prevent further abuse of my eMail
> addresses.

The key you signed this e-mail with (6eeaf716) is available on
wwwkeys.pgp.net, but I cannot find your other key (99ed3565), and this
was the key listed as missing in my original post.

Spam is something that affects us all. Use procmail and/or spamassassin.
Probably works better anyway, because sooner or later your address will
end up in some e-mail...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /> David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      <\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //
\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire           </

* Re[04]: GPG/PGP-signatures
@ 2002-08-28  5:35   ` John L. Males
From: John L. Males @ 2002-08-28  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Weinehall; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi David,

Comments below ...

********** Reply Seperator **********

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:32:29 +0200
On (Wed) 2002-08-28 01:32:29 +0200
David Weinehall wrote in Message-ID:
20020827233229.GC12587@khan.acc.umu.se

To: "John L. Males" <jlmales@yahoo.com>
From: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:32:29 +0200

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:59:14PM -0400, John L. Males wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I just discovered your eMail posting on "GPG/PGP-signatures" of 14
> > August 2002.  Your eMail indicated that I was BCC'ed in.  I can
> > advise you I did not receive a copy of this posting.
>
> Sorry, probably missed you out.

No problem.  Just thought wyou might like to know in case you were
unaware of a technical problem.

> > I have checked the key server and find the key for the ID of this
> > eMail note to be there.  I did eMAil you back after loading my key
> > to confirm that I had correctly uploaded my GPG key to the key
> > server. My PGP keys have been on the keyserver for some time.  I
> > use PGP on Windows NT when it is working (Been down since Mid
> > may), and GPG on Linux.  At some point I will manage to move over
> > to GPG keys on NT.  I would be happy to upload my other GPG keys
> > to the key server once I am certain I have uploaded my keys
> > correctly.
> >
> > Would you be so kind as to confirm I have uploaded my key for the
> > below noted eMail address ID.  Sorry of the manner I am using for
> > hiding my eMail address makes things difficult, but at 20- 30 SPAM
> > eMails a day I had to take action to prevent further abuse of my
> > eMail addresses.
>
> The key you signed this e-mail with (6eeaf716) is available on
> wwwkeys.pgp.net, but I cannot find your other key (99ed3565), and
> this was the key listed as missing in my original post.

Ok, the other key is now up and should be making it way to the other
key servers.  I did not post the 0x99ed3565 key, as I had not heard of
the 0x6eeaf716 key was loaded correctly.

> Spam is something that affects us all. Use procmail and/or
> spamassassin. Probably works better anyway, because sooner or later
> your address will end up in some e-mail...

There are other solutions.  For now I need to use this solution until
I have the current matter purged and under control before using a more
effective solution beyond filtering.

> Regards: David Weinehall
> --
>  /> David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander
>  <\
> //  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky
> //\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire
> </

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
28 August 2002 01:35

@ 2002-08-28  9:48     ` David Weinehall
From: David Weinehall @ 2002-08-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John L. Males; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:35:20AM -0400, John L. Males wrote:
> Ok, the other key is now up and should be making it way to the other
> key servers.  I did not post the 0x99ed3565 key, as I had not heard of
> the 0x6eeaf716 key was loaded correctly.

I can confirm that the other key is now uploaded correctly. Thanks a
lot.

BTW: PLEASE trim your signature down from those 40 or so lines it is now
to something more reasonable (3-7 lines at most.)

Regards: David Weinehall