From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
To: Mark Veltzer <mark@veltzer.org>
Cc: Con Kolivas <conman@kolivas.net>,
Subject: Re: [BENCHMARK] gcc3.2 v 2.95.3 (contest and linux-2.5.38)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:56:29 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:06:01PM +0300, Mark Veltzer wrote:

> On Monday 23 September 2002 06:16, Con Kolivas wrote:
>

> > > Ugh??  Something is _seriously_ messed up here.
> >

> The most important question to ask here is: What flags did you compile both
> ?!? I wouldn't count on the flags that were designed for gcc 2.95 to be any
> good for 3.2... Could the original poster comment on this ?
>
> Any GCC maintainers on this list to comment ? Is there any set of flags to be
> passed to gcc 3.2 to replicate 2.95 behaviour ? I wouldn't rule out gcc 3.2
> having a totaly different set of optimizations geared towards user space C++.
> Again, any gcc maintainers comments ?!?
>
> Since most of the code in gcc is for C++ most of the changes in gcc should
> have been geared towards C++ (yes - quite a monstrous language). It seems to
> me that the changes in C compilation between 2.95 and 3.2 should be minor
> EXCEPT in terms of C optimization. Can anyone with assembly knowledge take
> apart two identical drivers and see the better machine code produced by 2.95
> as compared to 3.2 ? If so - can this be reported to the gcc folk ?
>
> It seems to me that the difference is so huge that even user space
> applications could show the difference. I suggest compiling a large C program
> (emphasis on the C) in user space and doing the comparison... I would guess
> that this should have been done by the gcc folk but because of the
> hideousness of the C++ language I would guess that they mostly concentrated
> on C++ and didn't bother to benchmark regular C optimization. This is quite
> awful as the bulk of lower level open source code is in C and not C++ so this
> kind of test has a lot of meaning for any distribution that is going to be
> based on gcc 3.2...
>
> If this benchmark turns out to be right then it seems to me that the only
> conclusion is that the gcc folk let their interest in aesoteric features of
> C++ (which has about 1/2 a billion of those) override the basic need for
> strong C optimization. Yes - it now seems that the C++ language (which is
> quite an abomination in terms of engineering and the KISS principle) is
> actually hurting open source (which has been my conclusion for quite some
> time).

Mark, if you followed the GCC development process you'd realize that
all of your above ranting about C++ is completely unfounded.  Most
people doing performance work - and there are a good number of them -
focus on language-independent optimizations and check them primarily in
C.

And I've no idea what you mean by "EXCEPT in terms of C optimization".
First of all you're completely wrong - 3.2 supports most of C99, which
is substantial - and secondly, of course the bulk of changes in support
for a language are optimization.  And those are substantial too.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz