From: Robert Schwebel <robert@schwebel.de>
To: "Michael D. Crawford" <crawford@goingware.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Conserving memory for an embedded application
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:18:01 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 12:53:16AM -0400, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I am helping my client design an embedded hardware device that we may
> run Linux on. An important concern is to minimize the amount of ROM
> and flash ram that the device has, both to save manufacturing cost and
> to minimize power consumption.

IMHO this isn't worth the efford. Flash is slow and (per kbyte) more
expensive than RAM, so I would'n waste too much time on this if you
don't plan to make more than >10000 pieces of your device. If you care
for power consumption use another architecture than x86.

> It would also be helpful if a filesystem image containing a user program
> could be burned into flash, and then the program run directly out of flash.

Use jffs2 for the root file system.

> Also, what is the minimum amount of physical ram that you think I can
> get any version of the kernel later than 2.0 or so to run in?  I heard
> somewhere that someone can boot an x86 system with as little as 2MB of
> RAM. Is that the case?

This depends on which drivers you need, how much stuff you need in
userspace and how memory hungry your application is. Running a 2.4
kernel with busybox/uclibc in 2 MB RAM is possible.

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4