* Linux Kernel 2.4.x Bug
@ 2002-09-24 21:34 DragonK
From: DragonK @ 2002-09-24 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dear Sirs,

I'm sorry if I'm sending this to the wrong persons,
but I really don't know whom I should send this to.

My problem involves ALL linux kernels 2.4.x. All
versions I've tried on my machine lock up at boot time
(no panic, no oops, just plain old dead), just after
writing "Uncompressing linux kernel...Ok, now booting
the kernel...". The kernel banner DOES NOT appear. I
compiled every kernel with a minimal set of options
(and CPU=386) but nothing; I've even installed the
latest Lilo.

My machine is:

Cyrix 6x86L PR200+, 32Mb Ram, S3Trio32/64 video card,
2.1 Gb Quantum Pioneer HDD, mainboard with ACER
chipset TX-PRO (older mainboard, M560(?) I don't
exactly know it's name), but I can try to find out.

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a
suggestion, or an alternate mail address which I could
send this to.

Thank you very much for your time.

Luta Cosmin Alexandru

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.x Bug
@ 2002-09-25 12:04 ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2002-09-25 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DragonK, linux-kernel

On 24 September 2002 19:34, DragonK wrote:
> I'm sorry if I'm sending this to the wrong persons,
> but I really don't know whom I should send this to.
>
> My problem involves ALL linux kernels 2.4.x. All
> versions I've tried on my machine lock up at boot time
> (no panic, no oops, just plain old dead), just after
> writing "Uncompressing linux kernel...Ok, now booting
> the kernel...". The kernel banner DOES NOT appear. I
> compiled every kernel with a minimal set of options
> (and CPU=386) but nothing; I've even installed the
> latest Lilo.

I'd compile 2.2 and 2.4 kernels with most conservative settings,
put them on a diskettes and try at several PCs.
No, not a full Linux, just a kernel.

That way you can collect some data as to which PCs do
not like 2.4

Also you can stick debugging in the early boot stages
and investigate.

<shameless plug>

If you have/can install DOS, you may use this bootloader
for debugging. It is small and source is easy to understand
(I hope)

http://www.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua/linux/vda/linld/

You need *devel.tar* file only if you don't have Borland C,
otherwise take much smaller linld095.tar.bz2

</shameless plug>
--
vda

* Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.x Bug
@ 2002-09-25 13:07   ` Phil Auld
From: Phil Auld @ 2002-09-25 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DragonK; +Cc: linux-kernel

Rumor has it that on Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:04:05AM -0200 Denis Vlasenko said:
> On 24 September 2002 19:34, DragonK wrote:
> > I'm sorry if I'm sending this to the wrong persons,
> > but I really don't know whom I should send this to.
> >
> > My problem involves ALL linux kernels 2.4.x. All
> > versions I've tried on my machine lock up at boot time
> > (no panic, no oops, just plain old dead), just after
> > writing "Uncompressing linux kernel...Ok, now booting
> > the kernel...". The kernel banner DOES NOT appear. I
> > compiled every kernel with a minimal set of options
> > (and CPU=386) but nothing; I've even installed the
> > latest Lilo.

maybe too minimal :)

This sounds like what you get if you don't have VT configured.
Make sure you have these in your .config

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

Phil