On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 09:31:02PM -0400, James D Strandboge wrote: > I recently purchased a usb webcam and found that polling /proc/apm > causes the webcam in xawtv to skip. I can so this either by doing 'cat > /proc/apm' or using the gnome battstat-applet. Disabling the > battstat-applet and not touching /proc/apm lets xawtv work fine. > > Polling /proc/apm also causes clock drift. > > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop (1.6Ghz Pentium 4). Using kernel > 2.4.18 with rmap12h and preempt-kernel patch. BIOS bug. Reading /proc/apm causes the APM BIOS to switch the CPU to SMM mode with interrupts disabled so it can slowly poll the battery about it's status. Result: lost interrupts, dropped frames, dropped serial characters, clock slowdown. Workaround: don't use a battery monitor, or don't let it poll every two seconds. Erik -- J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/