* Kernel call chain search tool?
@ 2002-09-25  4:36 Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2002-09-25  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

<prelude>
I have a large multithreaded program that has a habit of using too
much memory, and as a safeguard, I want to kill it before it makes
the system unstable.  The OOM killer often guesses wrong, and RLIMIT_AS
kills too soon because of the address space used up by the many thread
stacks.
So I'd like an RLIMIT_RSS that just kills the fat process.

There have been a couple patches to implement RLIMIT_RSS, e.g.
Peter Chubb's
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=97892951101598&w=2
and the two from Rik, all of which are too complex for my needs
(and which only swap out instead of kill), so I guess I have to roll my
own.
</prelude>

Rik's patch checks rss in handle_mm_fault(); Peter's
checked it in do_swap_page() and do_anonymous_page().
As a kernel newbie, I don't have a feel for how
those calls relate to each other.  Is there a tool
somewhere that will take a set of function names and
list all the kernel call chains that start in one of
the functions and end in another?

- Dan