From: Jan Kasprzak <kas@informatics.muni.cz>
To: Manfred Spraul <manfred@colorfullife.com>
Cc: Dave Jones <davej@codemonkey.org.uk>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: AMD 768 erratum 10 (solved: AMD 760MPX DMA lockup)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:46:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Manfred Spraul wrote:
: The errata is not PS/2 mouse specific:
: it says that the io apic doesn't implement masking interrupts correctly.

	Yes, but it says that problem has not been observed when running
with PS/2 mouse. Which is exactly what I observe on my system.
:
: Linux uses masking aggressively - disable_irq() is implemented by
: masking the interrupt in the io apic. I'm surprised that this doesn't
: cause frequent problems.

	The errata does not say that the interrupt masking in the IO-APIC
does not work in all situations. I read it as the lock-up (caused by
nonfunctional IRQ masking) sometimes occurs, nobody knows when,
and it has been observed on some Netware boxes w/o the PS/2 mouse.
Maybe even AMD does not know exactly what is going on there.

: Regarding Jan's problem: I'm not sure if his problems are related to
: this errata. It says that using a PS/2 mouse instead of a serial mouse
: with Novell Netward avoids the hang during shutdown, probably because
: then netware doesn't mask the irq.

	Yes, it may be a faulty board as well, but I think it is
too close to this AMD errata.

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |