From: Nick Sanders <sandersn@btinternet.com>
To: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic 2.5.39 when starting hotplug
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:16:01 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 2:59 am, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:22:40AM +0100, Nick Sanders wrote:
> > Sorry about the last report not the most informative, I'm still getting a
> > kernel panic with 2.5.40. I think it's my Alcatel USB Speedtouch Modem as
> > it only panics when I plug it in.
>
> Are you using the new "in-kernel" driver for this device?  Or the
> userspace driver?  Hm, in looking at your .config, you're not using the
> kernel driver, any reason you aren't?
>
> And if you move usbmodules to something else (like usbmodules.orig), it
> will not be run by the hotplug code.  Does that prevent the oops?

I used the kernel driver about 9 months ago but it wasn't reliable, the
userspace driver is brilliantly reliable and also I don't have to patch the
kernel, just looked at 2.5.40 and see it's in the kernel but I have been
using 2.4 till recently but there is still the speedmgmt application which
used to hang the machine on shutdown  and also when the link was dropped and
you also need a ATM aware PPP daemon so the userpace driver is IMHO simpler
use.

Moving /usr/sbin/usbmodules to /usr/sbin/usbmodules.orig stops the kernel
panic, I get the following on boot

Starting hotplug subsystem: usb** can't synthesize root hub events.

Thanks

Nick