From: Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc>
To: Clayton Weaver <cgweav@email.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: What's in a name?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:53:01 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:31:04PM -0500, Clayton Weaver wrote:
> The whole thing has depended on gcc from day one,
> so I see no valid objection to prominently give GNU
> credit for providing a decent compiler and thus saving
> Linus the work of inventing that before he started on
> his kernel.

Actually, Linux depended on Linus Torvalds from day one, making Linux
a *very* apt name, if the argument is that credit should be attributed
to the primary contributory to Linux's success...

The GCC license says that it can be used to compile pretty much anything
anybody wants to. Richard Stallman gave up the right to claim credit for
projects that happen to use GCC, the instance he wrote the GPL, and the
LGPL.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________