* WimMark I for 2.5.64
@ 2003-03-07 17:56 Joel Becker
From: Joel Becker @ 2003-03-07 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

WimMark I report for 2.5.64

Runs:  1430.06 1194.90

	WimMark I is a rough benchmark we have been running
here at Oracle against various kernels.  Each run tests an OLTP
workload on the Oracle database with somewhat restrictive memory
conditions.  This reduces in-memory buffering of data, allowing for
more I/O.  The I/O is read and sync write, random and seek-laden.
	The benchmark is called "WimMark I" because it has no
official standing and is only a relative benchmark useful for comparing
kernel changes.  The benchmark is normalized an arbitrary kernel, which
scores 1000.0.  All other numbers are relative to this.
	The machine in question is a 4 way 700 MHz Xeon machine with 2GB
of RAM.  CONFIG_HIGHMEM4GB is selected.  The disk accessed for data is a
10K RPM U2W SCSI of similar vintage.  Unless mentioned, all runs are
on this machine (variation in hardware would indeed change the
benchmark).

--

"I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns, and
 women join the unqualified men in running our overnment."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
Phone: (650) 506-8127

* Re: WimMark I for 2.5.64
@ 2003-03-07 18:18 ` Stephen Wille Padnos
From: Stephen Wille Padnos @ 2003-03-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Becker; +Cc: linux-kernel

Interesting, but a couple of questions:
Which arbitrary kernel scores 1000.0?
Is the score very consistent on that kernel and machine?  (what kind of
max/min scores do you get?)

- Steve

@ 2003-03-07 19:16   ` Joel Becker
From: Joel Becker @ 2003-03-07 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Wille Padnos; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:18:50PM -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Is the score very consistent on that kernel and machine?  (what kind of
> max/min scores do you get?)

	The scores for a particular kernel are pretty consistent.
That's the intent.  Some kernels I'll have data for multiple runs, and
you can see the variation between runs.

Joel

--

"Conservative, n.  A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils,
 as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them