From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
To: Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>
Subject: Re: Can one build 2.5.68 with allyesconfig?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:41:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:49:03 EDT, Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>  said:
> Is anyone else able to build 2.5.68 with allyesconfig?
>
> I'm using RH7.2, so the first thing I did was edit the main Makefile to
> replace gcc with "gcc3" (3.0.4).  Maybe the compiler is STILL my

1) I think the 3.0.4 compiler had some issues - 3.2.2 may be a better idea.

2) allyesconfig is probably NOT able to build an actual kernel that will
work - in particular, there are a number of pairs/sets of drivers that are
mutually exclusive for a given device. And as you noticed, allyesconfig
will try to build stuff that's known to be b0rken.

3) Even if it works, it will be a huge kernel with lots of stuff you almost
certainly don't need (got an ISDN card? I didn't think so ;).  You would more
likely want to customize the kernel for what you need, or at least consider
using 'allmodconfig' so you can insmod the parts you need and skip the rest.