* OSDL CGL-WG draft specs available for review
@ 2003-04-22 20:46 Mika Kukkonen
From: Mika Kukkonen @ 2003-04-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML; +Cc: cgl_discussion

Hello!

Influenced by the feedback we got around the release of our version 1 specs,
OSDL CGL Work Group has made the decision to follow a more open process
with the next version of our specifications.

Accordingly, we have made the initial drafts of the first two parts of
our version 2 specifications available at:
	http://www.osdl.org/projects/cgl/
for public review and comment.

These two parts address the "General OS requirements" and "Security".
There is also a third part called "Clustering", that has been delayed,
but should hopefully made available by the end of this month.

We invite everybody to download the specs and comment. We have an open
mail list, cgl_discussion@osdl.org, for detailed discussion and comment.
You can also mail the feedback directly to me (mika@osdl.org), if you
so prefer, and of course we will read the LKML also. Your choice.

Please keep in mind that these are early drafts and so in now way reflect
the final content of the final version which is scheduled to be ready around
July. So now is your best chance to influence this document!

Cheers!

On the behalf of OSDL CGL-WG,
   Mika Kukkonen
   CGL Roadmap Coordinator
   mika@osdl.org

* Re: OSDL CGL-WG draft specs available for review
@ 2003-04-23 21:57 Fleischer, Julie N
From: Fleischer, Julie N @ 2003-04-23 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christoph Hellwig', Mika Kukkonen; +Cc: LKML, cgl_discussion

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 1:22 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:32:25AM -0700, Mika Kukkonen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 09:49, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > Without really big kernel changes it's hard to get full
> POSIX thread
> > > semantics. e.g. we still don't have credential sharing
> for tasks.  And
> > > it doesn't lool like this makes 2.6.  I'd rather remove this one..
> >
> > Ah, we are not aiming to get our features into a certain
> kernel version,
> > and actually we do not expect or even want (because of 2.6
> > stabilization) that our v2 spec kernel features get merged
> into 2.6 at
> > this point of time (some of them might, though).
> >
> > For us it is enough that the distros will pick most of the features
> > after v2 specs get released and through that adaption some of
> > those features will get merged into 2.7 or whatever is
> coming after 2.6.
> > So we are not in hurry ;-)
>
> Well, this is not doable ontop of any existing kernel without major
> suregery (introducing a credential cache and passing it down to
> every place that's doing uid/gid based access control).
>
> So none of the CGL distros can really support that.

>From the POSIX Test Suite perspective, we were planning on first focusing
testing on the CGL 2.0 priority 1 POSIX features, which would mean the
threads functions with the THR tag in IEEE1003.1-2001.  But, it would be
great to know what gaps current implementations (like NPTL) have against
this tag in the POSIX spec.  Is there a way we can get more details on the
current gaps you mentioned?  I'm wondering how they will affect conformance
to the THR tag functions.

- Julie Fleischer

**These views are not necessarily those of my employer.**