From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>
To: Mika Kukkonen <mika@osdl.org>
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, cgl_discussion@osdl.org
Subject: Re: [cgl_discussion] Re: OSDL CGL-WG draft specs available for review
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:22:08 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:32:25AM -0700, Mika Kukkonen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 09:49, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > >    4.10 Force unmount (2) 2 Experimental Availability Core
> (...)
> > This is very hard to get right.  What the expermintel implementation
> > you're referring to?
>
> This feature was mentioned in v1.1 spec, so some distributions already
> provide "experimental" versions of this feature. There are no Open
> Source projects I know of, though.

How do they provide  "experimental" versions of this feature?  I don't
see how this can be done without major fileystem surgery, so it
kindof must be an OSS implementation..

> > Without really big kernel changes it's hard to get full POSIX thread
> > semantics. e.g. we still don't have credential sharing for tasks.  And
> > it doesn't lool like this makes 2.6.  I'd rather remove this one..
>
> Ah, we are not aiming to get our features into a certain kernel version,
> and actually we do not expect or even want (because of 2.6
> stabilization) that our v2 spec kernel features get merged into 2.6 at
> this point of time (some of them might, though).
>
> For us it is enough that the distros will pick most of the features
> after v2 specs get released and through that adaption some of
> those features will get merged into 2.7 or whatever is coming after 2.6.
> So we are not in hurry ;-)

Well, this is not doable ontop of any existing kernel without major
suregery (introducing a credential cache and passing it down to
every place that's doing uid/gid based access control).

So none of the CGL distros can really support that.