* 'tainting kernel' problem in linux-2.4.18
@ 2003-04-29 21:53 Pawan Deepika
From: Pawan Deepika @ 2003-04-29 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

 I am trying LKM with linux-2.4.18. I have a problem
here. When I load the module using 'insmod' command,
module gets loaded but I get following error

/sbin/insmod ./hello.o
Warning: loading ./hello.o will taint the kernel: no
license
  See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for
information about tainted modules
Module hello loaded, with warnings

Can anyone tell me why I am getting this problem and
what is the impact of this error while module is
running in kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Deepika

http://search.yahoo.com

* Re: 'tainting kernel' problem in linux-2.4.18
@ 2003-04-29 22:16 ` Eli Carter
From: Eli Carter @ 2003-04-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawan Deepika; +Cc: linux-kernel

Pawan Deepika wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am trying LKM with linux-2.4.18. I have a problem
> here. When I load the module using 'insmod' command,
> module gets loaded but I get following error

> /sbin/insmod ./hello.o
> Warning: loading ./hello.o will taint the kernel: no
> license
>   See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for
> information about tainted modules
> Module hello loaded, with warnings
>
> Can anyone tell me why I am getting this problem and
> what is the impact of this error while module is
> running in kernel.

Read the url provided in the error message.

If that is not enough, perhaps this one will help:
http://lwn.net/2001/0906/kernel.php3

You may want to try kernel-newbies instead since this would be more
on-topic there.

HTH,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

* Re: 'tainting kernel' problem in linux-2.4.18
@ 2003-04-29 22:24 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-04-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawan Deepika; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Pawan Deepika wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am trying LKM with linux-2.4.18. I have a problem
> here. When I load the module using 'insmod' command,
> module gets loaded but I get following error

> /sbin/insmod ./hello.o
> Warning: loading ./hello.o will taint the kernel: no
> license
>   See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for
> information about tainted modules
> Module hello loaded, with warnings
>
> Can anyone tell me why I am getting this problem and
> what is the impact of this error while module is
> running in kernel.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Deepika

The module police now require you to put something like:
MODULE_LICENSE("Spellman Empire") (or something like that)
in your module.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

* Re: 'tainting kernel' problem in linux-2.4.18
@ 2003-04-29 22:55   ` Pawan Deepika
From: Pawan Deepika @ 2003-04-29 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks a lot.

 Putting MODULE_LICENSE solved my problem.

Cheers
Deepika

--- "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>

http://search.yahoo.com