On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:21:07AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote: > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:53:52AM -0600, Dax Kelson wrote: > > On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Larry McVoy wrote: > > > > > Your post shows that you think that the reaction is bad and you even say > > > that the reaction is likely. You vigourously disagree with my conclusions > > > as to why the reaction is happening, I see that. OK, so let's try it > > > with a question rather than a statement: why are things like the DMCA and > > > DRM happening? It isn't the open source guys pushing those, obviously, > > > it's the corporations. So why are they doing it? > > > > DRM/DMCA do nothing to address reimplementation (it can't, see all > > previous posts on how it is a LEGAL activity). > > > > In my observation, DRM/DMCA addresses unauthorized audio and video content > > copying. > > > > So, if Open Source is all about reimplementation, and DRM/DMCA is about > > "protecting" audio/video content, where is the connection? > > "Trusted Computing/Palladium" stuff is clearly headed in the direction > of encrypting everything, the only place it lands unencrypted is on > your display. I thought that fell under the heading of DRM but maybe > I'm mistaken. > > I believe the point of that is "huh, people are going to copy our program? > OK, well, we're a monopoly, you have use our programs to generate the > data, we encrypt the data and poof! the reimplemented programs are > worthless". > > That line of reasoning, by the way, only works if they are a monopoly, > i.e., it doesn't work real well for BK, there are lots of other source > management systems. But it works very well for things like Word, > that's a de facto standard, contrary to what some people here believe > it is bloody difficult to negotiate a contract in anything but Word. > Try sending a lawyer anything else and you'll see what I mean. > > So I don't agree that the DRM stuff is all about protecting audio/video > content at all, I think it goes much further than that. Maybe I'm > wrong, maybe DRM isn't all about that, but the point remains that there > is lots of activity in the directions I'm describing and whether it > falls under DRM, DMCA, Trusted Computing, Palladium, of BuzzWord2000, > the activity exists. And I think it exists at least in part because > of the threat of the open source reimplementations. I'm starting to > think I'm the only person on this list who thinks that, that may be, > but in the business world that I move in pretty much everyone thinks that. > > The open source thing is a new twist, it's changing the playing field. > That can be good (it has been so far) but it can be bad too if the > corporations get all paranoid, which is what they look like to me. > > What you do about it is an open question. My thought has been to focus > on creating new stuff that creates its own world of users and advocates. > Going back to Word, if there was a word processing system that was better > than Word and people switched to it, then any attempt by Microsoft to lock > up the data is irrelevant. Apply that pattern to any application which > operates on data - if you let any corporation have the best technology and > become a monopoly then they can lock up the data and you're shut out of > the game. That's one of the reasons I sort of think the BK clone attempts > are pointless, we can change the file format or encrypt it and unless > there is some other compelling reason to use the clone, it's irrelevant. > On the other hand, make something different and better and BK becomes > irrelevant (unless we do leapfrog with some new feature/whatever). > > That's what I meant by chasing. If you are chasing the leader you are > automatically more at risk because you are trying to play in the leader's > playing field and they can change the rules to screw you up. You build > a better playing field and you turn the tables, now the leader is the > follower and they have to play by your rules. > -- > --- > Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitmover.com/lm > - > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ What about the people who cannot use bk because the license doesn't permit them?They feed off the hourly kernel.org snapshots? The BK clone doesn't have to be a clone always, but it has to start off with that coz thats what is being used for linux currently. Maybe that won't be requiredif you change the license to a bit more friendlier one. This thread has become a few metres long now, but it as simple as 'open source for better software, hidden source for better chances of making money' - -