On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:28:25 +1200, Andrew McGregor said: > cpufreq and speedstep don't work on Dell P3 laptops anyway, and the > *internal power supplies* of the i8x00 series make wierd noises when APM > tries to idle the CPU. The board will do this anyway, without making > noise, so linux need not. Dell Latitude C840 (1.6G Pentium4 Mobile) has the "power supplies buzz at 1Khz on APM idle" symptom too. I haven't checked the ACPI side of the fence yet, nor have I gotten brave enough to try the cpufreq and speedstep stuff. Even *more* bizarre, there's "something odd" done by the seti@home client (which usually causes 100% CPU use and thus silence) several minutes into a workunit that causes the noise to change frequencies - it will start down around 500hz, sweep up to 1Khz (taking about 2 seconds to do so), and repeat (so the buzzing is exhibiting a sawtooth wave). I'm not seeing any paging or swapping or I/O, so I'm wondering if it's some code walking through a large array with strides 1/2/4/8/16 (like an FFT) causing different cache hit ratios, and thus different power consumption patterns while it's stuck on a L1/L2 cache miss.....