* SCTP config 2.5.70(-bk)
@ 2003-06-02  7:53 Margit Schubert-While
From: Margit Schubert-While @ 2003-06-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__   is always being set to "y" even though
not selected (CONFIG_IPV6 not set)

Margit

* Re: SCTP config 2.5.70(-bk)
@ 2003-06-03 13:03 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2003-06-03 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Margit Schubert-While, lksctp-developers; +Cc: linux-kernel, netdev

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:53:04AM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:

> CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__   is always being set to "y" even though
> not selected (CONFIG_IPV6 not set)

First, this doesn't do any harm since CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__ alone doensn't
result in anything getting compiled.

But besides, it seems a bit broken.

>From net/sctp/Kconfig:

<--  snip  -->

config IPV6_SCTP__
        tristate
        default y if IPV6=n
        default IPV6 if IPV6

config IP_SCTP
        tristate "The SCTP Protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        depends on IPV6_SCTP__

<--  snip  -->

Semantically equivalent is the following for IPV6_SCTP__:

config IPV6_SCTP__
        tristate
        default y if IPV6=n || IPV6=y
	default m if IPV6=m

If it was intended to disallow a static IP_SCTP with a modular IPV6 it
doesn't work: It's perfectly allowed to set IPV6=n and IP_SCTP=y and
later compile and install a modular IPV6 for the same kernel.

Could someone from the SCTP developers comment on the intentions behind
IPV6_SCTP__ ?

> Margit

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

* Re: [Lksctp-developers] Re: SCTP config 2.5.70(-bk)
@ 2003-06-03 21:07   ` Jon Grimm
From: Jon Grimm @ 2003-06-03 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk
  Cc: Margit Schubert-While, lksctp-developers, linux-kernel, netdev

Hi Adrian,

	Sorry for a bit of delay... We are away at an SCTP Interoperability
event.

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:53:04AM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
>

>>CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__   is always being set to "y" even though
>>not selected (CONFIG_IPV6 not set)
>

> First, this doesn't do any harm since CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__ alone doensn't
> result in anything getting compiled.
>
> But besides, it seems a bit broken.
>
> From net/sctp/Kconfig:
>
> <--  snip  -->

> config IPV6_SCTP__
>         tristate
>         default y if IPV6=n
>         default IPV6 if IPV6
>
> config IP_SCTP
>         tristate "The SCTP Protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)"
>         depends on IPV6_SCTP__
>
> <--  snip  -->
>

> Semantically equivalent is the following for IPV6_SCTP__:
>
> config IPV6_SCTP__
>         tristate
>         default y if IPV6=n || IPV6=y
> 	default m if IPV6=m
>

> If it was intended to disallow a static IP_SCTP with a modular IPV6 it
> doesn't work: It's perfectly allowed to set IPV6=n and IP_SCTP=y and
> later compile and install a modular IPV6 for the same kernel.

Are you sure?  I vaguely remember one of the network structs having
#ifdef'd fields for v6.   Consequently, if one compiles first without,
but the tries later compiles/loads ipv6... bad things happen as the
kernel has a different concept of what the sock is.

> Could someone from the SCTP developers comment on the intentions behind
> IPV6_SCTP__ ?

Yes.  The intent was to at least discourage a configuration that will
segfault.

Thanks,
jon

@ 2003-06-07 19:12     ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2003-06-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Grimm; +Cc: Margit Schubert-While, lksctp-developers, linux-kernel, netdev

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 04:07:08PM -0500, Jon Grimm wrote:

> Hi Adrian,

Hi Jon,

> 	Sorry for a bit of delay... We are away at an SCTP Interoperability
> event.

the delay before my answer was bigger...

> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:53:04AM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> >

> >>CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__   is always being set to "y" even though
> >>not selected (CONFIG_IPV6 not set)
> >

> >First, this doesn't do any harm since CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__ alone doensn't
> >result in anything getting compiled.
> >
> >But besides, it seems a bit broken.
> >
> >From net/sctp/Kconfig:
> >
> ><--  snip  -->

> >config IPV6_SCTP__
> >        tristate
> >        default y if IPV6=n
> >        default IPV6 if IPV6
> >
> >config IP_SCTP
> >        tristate "The SCTP Protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)"
> >        depends on IPV6_SCTP__
> >
> ><--  snip  -->
> >

> >Semantically equivalent is the following for IPV6_SCTP__:
> >
> >config IPV6_SCTP__
> >        tristate
> >        default y if IPV6=n || IPV6=y
> >	default m if IPV6=m
> >

> >If it was intended to disallow a static IP_SCTP with a modular IPV6 it
> >doesn't work: It's perfectly allowed to set IPV6=n and IP_SCTP=y and
> >later compile and install a modular IPV6 for the same kernel.
> >

> Are you sure?  I vaguely remember one of the network structs having
> #ifdef'd fields for v6.   Consequently, if one compiles first without,
> but the tries later compiles/loads ipv6... bad things happen as the
> kernel has a different concept of what the sock is.

after reading this at net/Kconfig:

<--  snip  -->

#   IPv6 as module will cause a CRASH if you try to unload it
config IPV6
        tristate "The IPv6 protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)"

<--  snip  -->

I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to disallow the modular
building of IPv6 support?

> >Could someone from the SCTP developers comment on the intentions behind
> >IPV6_SCTP__ ?
> >

> Yes.  The intent was to at least discourage a configuration that will
> segfault.

It's currently discouraged but not completelyt impossible to select...

> Thanks,
> jon

cu
Adrian