* Re: sleep forever in ACPI mode S3
@ 2003-06-04 20:17 ` Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
From: Grzegorz Jaskiewicz @ 2003-06-04 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grover, Andrew; +Cc: C. Scott Ananian, acpi-support, linux-kernel

* RE: sleep forever in ACPI mode S3
@ 2003-06-04 20:25 Grover, Andrew
From: Grover, Andrew @ 2003-06-04 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. Scott Ananian, linux-kernel; +Cc: acpi-support

> From: C. Scott Ananian [mailto:cananian@lesser-magoo.lcs.mit.edu]
> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>  appears to work correctly on my IBM Thinkpad X20 -- except that it's
>  impossible to wake the machine back up.
> echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>  has a similar problem -- ordinary keypresses don't wake the
> machine --
>  but at least in this case the "power button" will bring the
> machine back.
>  [neither the lid nor the sleep button do, though.]
>
> Is this a known problem?  What keypresses are *supposed* to wake the
> machine?  I looked through the code, but it looks like we
> punt off to the
> ACPI firmware to do the actual sleep -- can anyone enlighten me on the
> intended mechanism behind 'wake-from-sleep'?

Does it start to come back but then not make it, or is it just
unrevivifiable?

In any case, sleep/resume is a work in progress that won't work reliably
in the near-term.

Regards -- Andy

* RE: sleep forever in ACPI mode S3
@ 2003-06-04 20:30 ` C. Scott Ananian
From: C. Scott Ananian @ 2003-06-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grover, Andrew; +Cc: linux-kernel, acpi-support

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Grover, Andrew wrote:

> > echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
> >  appears to work correctly on my IBM Thinkpad X20 -- except that it's
> >  impossible to wake the machine back up.
[...]
> Does it start to come back but then not make it, or is it just
> unrevivifiable?

hard to tell, since the screen is off.  nothing i do has any *visible*
effect on the machine.

> In any case, sleep/resume is a work in progress that won't work reliably
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> in the near-term.

hence my question.  is there anything i can do to help track down what's
happening?  cf:

> > Is this a known problem?  What keypresses are *supposed* to wake the
> > machine?  I looked through the code, but it looks like we
> > punt off to the
> > ACPI firmware to do the actual sleep -- can anyone enlighten me on the
> > intended mechanism behind 'wake-from-sleep'?
  --scott

direct action LA DES Flintlock Soviet  Albanian colonel milita insurgent
Ft. Meade RNC anthrax Rule Psix Saddam Hussein Uzi Minister Diplomat
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )

* Re: sleep forever in ACPI mode S3
@ 2003-06-05 12:45   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-06-05 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. Scott Ananian; +Cc: Grover, Andrew, linux-kernel, acpi-support

Hi!

> > > echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
> > >  appears to work correctly on my IBM Thinkpad X20 -- except that it's
> > >  impossible to wake the machine back up.
> [...]
> > Does it start to come back but then not make it, or is it just
> > unrevivifiable?
>
> hard to tell, since the screen is off.  nothing i do has any *visible*
> effect on the machine.

Okay, look at code doing suspend, it
sets up events that should wake it...

--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

* sleep forever in ACPI mode S3
@ 2003-06-04 20:04 C. Scott Ananian
From: C. Scott Ananian @ 2003-06-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: acpi-support

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
 appears to work correctly on my IBM Thinkpad X20 -- except that it's
 impossible to wake the machine back up.
echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep
 has a similar problem -- ordinary keypresses don't wake the machine --
 but at least in this case the "power button" will bring the machine back.
 [neither the lid nor the sleep button do, though.]

Is this a known problem?  What keypresses are *supposed* to wake the
machine?  I looked through the code, but it looks like we punt off to the
ACPI firmware to do the actual sleep -- can anyone enlighten me on the
intended mechanism behind 'wake-from-sleep'?

[incidentally, i originally had the same problem others report with the
power button not only bringing the machine out of S1 but also rebooting
it: it was in fact acpid doing the reboot due to an easily-overlooked line
in its default.sh.  Previous posters have pointed to powerbtn.sh only.]
  --scott

[cc replies to me; i'm not on the list.]

explosives SEAL Team 6 mustard Pakistan shortwave ammunition immediate
nuclear class struggle direct action East Timor Legion of Doom NSA
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )