Hi people, Recently I was making some tests on old motherboard with PIIX3 chipset, copying the directory /usr (630mb) from a disc to another one (runlevel 1), in both senses (origin disk in read-only), after a few minutes of activity (1-2 minutes), different messages from kernel about DMA timeout appeared. The problem only happens on disc MAXTOR, as much reading as writing on it, when transfer data from a disc to another one connected in different IDE channels. But on the same disc or from a disc to another one on same IDE channel there is no problem, also probe to invert discs of channels IDE and the problem repeats on him same disc. Also probe with another disc MAXTOR same model, and happens exactly the same. I read in a page Web on the problem of the DMA timeout with this PIIX3 chipset and discs QUANTUM, and that a possible solution is to increase the "PCI Latency Timer", then, it fits the Latency with setpci of all the PCI BUS of 32 to greater numbers, until 0xff and the problem persists. Probe both kernels the 2.4.20 and the 2.4.21 (with and without XFS patch) and the same results. This a PIIX3 chipset problem with some disks? This message appears three times during the copy and finaly dma & multicount is disabled, but reactivated with hdparm without problems. hdc: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20 hdc: timeout waiting for DMA hdc: timeout waiting for DMA hdc: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } hdc: drive not ready for command hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy } hdc: drive not ready for command ide1: reset: success Attached the config, dmesg, lspci, and hdparm -i. ciao, dj btw: lamentably I do not have at the moment the hardware to prove (sorry my english) -- Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera ) http://www.vmlinuz.com.ar http://www.djgera.com.ar KeyID: 0x1B8C330D Key fingerprint = 0CAA D5D4 CD85 4434 A219 76ED 39AB 221B 1B8C 330D