From: Paul <Ocran@gmx.net> (by way of Paul <Ocran@gmx.net>)
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Promise fasttrack raid, changed disk, unable to boot.
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:29:24 -0400	[thread overview]

I am sorry if this has already been posted, i have had some mailing problems.

Hello,
For the previos year i have been using the promise fasttrack 100 to controll
 4 disks. I mirrored 2 75gig drives and 2 80gig drives. Recently one of the
 75 gig drives died on me. This particular mirroring array was the system
 array. So i replaced the disk with an 80 gig one and duplicated it. Now i an
 unable to boot with the previos kernel 2.4.19. But i can boot with the
 2.4.18 kernel which was provided to be by my distrabution. I have comiled
 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 on the machine itself and another machine to see if i
 could get one of them to work, but i can not. During boot up something like
 this is listed

ataraid/d0  then the partitions are listed. such as ataraid/d0p1
then the drives are listed
drive0 is 733XXX mb
raid0 consists of 1 drive.

That is how it looks with the new disk plugged in. But if i unplug it.
it will look like this:

drive0 is 733xxx mb
drive1 is 733xxx mb  <--- this tells me that there is something either in the
kernel or in the system that is telling the kernel what the old disk used to
be.

I am completly lost and hope that someone else has an idea of what i should
do. BTW I have compiled my kernel statically, while the distos 2.4.18 was
modules, if that makes any difference.

Thank you,
Paul