* PPC 440 System
@ 2003-07-14 11:27 simon
From: simon @ 2003-07-14 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have an IBM ebony development board which has a PPC 440
processor. I am trying to build a development system for it. It
currently loads a cross compiled kernel and kicks out messages via
the first serial port, no vga. It mounts the root fs via nfs and tries to
exec /sbin/init. At this point the system appears to hang.

If I remove /sbin/init from the nfs root the kernel panics as expected,
so I assume root is mounted ok. I have tried to build a minimum root
filesystem which contains /dev/console, /dev/ttyS0 and a statically
linked /sbin/init. The init just does a printf but I do not see this
message. Does anyone know it this should work ?

Initially I tried to build a root filesystem from files on a Mac Clone
running Yellow Dog Linux. I believe this has a PPC 604e processor.
Should this systems binaries/libraries run on the 440GP ?

Can I expect a statically linked executable, made on the Mac, to run
on the 440GP?

Many Thanks

Simon.

Simon Haynes - Baydel