From: Matt Porter <mporter@kernel.crashing.org>
To: simon@baydel.com
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PPC 440 System
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:35:50 -0700	[thread overview]

This should have been on linuxppc-embedded.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:24:13AM +0100, simon@baydel.com wrote:
> I don't understand. Can I not just use the math emulation in the kernel ?

Yes you can. However, most developers on PPC4xx are interested in
eventual deployment.  Kernel math emulation is slow relative to
a soft float enabled userland so using something like ELDK or MVL
with PPC4xx/8xx makes a lot more sense.  If you want to leverage
binaries from Yellowdog/Debian/foo that are compiled for a classic
PPC processor rather than natively then you'll need to enable math
emulation.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter