On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:13:16 EDT, "David St.Clair" said: > I don't know if this is a hardware specific bug or I just don't have > something configured right. 2.6.0-test1-mm1, Dell C840 laptop with a Geforce4 440Go. I do *NOT* have 'CONFIG_FB_VGA16' set, but *do* have 'CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA'. With this, 'vga=794' gets me a small font and a penguin on boot, the NVidia binary driver works fine under X after the minion.de patch, switching back and forth works well, and life is generally good. Mode 792 is in the VESA bios mode range: from Documentation/svga.txt: 0x0200 to 0x08ff - VESA BIOS modes. The ID is a VESA mode ID increased by 0x0100. All VESA modes should be autodetected and shown on the menu. .... CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA - enables autodetection of VESA modes. If it doesn't work on your machine (or displays a "Error: Scanning of VESA modes failed" message), you can switch it off and report as a bug. Try turning that on?