* BK Licence: Protocols and Research
@ 2003-07-17 12:05 Rory Browne
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rory Browne @ 2003-07-17 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

I don't mean to start/restart/prolong a flame war about Bitkepper, but,
I have a few things I'd like to have clarified.

Would the conduction of research(and publication of results of same) on
the bitkeeper formats/protocols, preclude users from using the Free version
of Bitkeeper, for the research project?

Would the carrying out of such research using the free version of
Bitkeeper, prevent them from developing a product which contains
substantially similar capabilities of the BitKeeper Software in the
Future, assuming that all copies of Bitkeeper were destroyed before the
development started?

Would previous activity in the area of developing a product which
contains substantially similary features to Bitkeeper preclude users from
using the Free Bitkeeper software?

I apologise if you consider that this post would be better placed on a
different mailing list, but I felt I could get the most fulfilling
unbiased, and educational feedback here.

Regards

Rory

* Re: BK Licence: Protocols and Research
@ 2003-07-17 14:17 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-17 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, robro

> * Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> [030717 13:12]:
> > [snip]
> >
> > I suggest you hire an attorney.
>
> That costs lotsa money. Money I can't really afford to pay.
>

> * Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de> [030717 13:32]:
> > Then keep it away from lkml? Why does everybody think that BK
> > discussions belong here?! News flash: they don't!
> >
> I detect a note of anger in that post. Anger leads to hate, and hate
> leads to the dark side. We'd hate to see linux developers lost to the
> dark side. Besides I'm usually fairly sceptical about what I hear on the
> news.
>
> * Alan Cox:
> > > Would previous activity in the area of developing a product which
> > > contains substantially similary features to Bitkeeper preclude users
> > > from
> > > using the Free Bitkeeper software?
>
> > Hire a lawyer or talk to the company selling it. This list is definitely
> > the wrong place to ask about it.
>
> -> Hire a lawyer:
>         See reply to Sean Neakums above.
>
> -> Talk to Company selling it:
>         Reply would almost certainly be extremely biased.
>
> -> Wrong Place:
>         Okay maybe for that small part of the message, but that small
>         part was added for, and only for completeness, but I thought I
>         dealt with the possibility of this being the wrong place at the
>         end of my last post. Having that said thanks to you, and Sean
>         for being polite in your reply.
>
>         Talking about this to the company selling bitkeeper would almost
>         certainly yield biased feedback, and here is where many people
>         have cross-examined the licence from top to bottom, and who've
>         investigated every little nook and crannie of the Licence(and please
>         don't bother telling me you aren't lawyers).

1. Flamewars about BitKeeper tend to generate a lot of traffic.

2. vger.kernel.org has run out of /var/tmp space twice recently, which
   has caused list traffic to get lost.

_Please_ take this off LKML.

John.