* Promise fasttrack raid, changed disk, unable to boot.
@ 2003-07-13  5:29 Paul
From: Paul @ 2003-07-13  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am sorry if this has already been posted, i have had some mailing problems.

Hello,
For the previos year i have been using the promise fasttrack 100 to controll
 4 disks. I mirrored 2 75gig drives and 2 80gig drives. Recently one of the
 75 gig drives died on me. This particular mirroring array was the system
 array. So i replaced the disk with an 80 gig one and duplicated it. Now i an
 unable to boot with the previos kernel 2.4.19. But i can boot with the
 2.4.18 kernel which was provided to be by my distrabution. I have comiled
 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 on the machine itself and another machine to see if i
 could get one of them to work, but i can not. During boot up something like
 this is listed

ataraid/d0  then the partitions are listed. such as ataraid/d0p1
then the drives are listed
drive0 is 733XXX mb
raid0 consists of 1 drive.

That is how it looks with the new disk plugged in. But if i unplug it.
it will look like this:

drive0 is 733xxx mb
drive1 is 733xxx mb  <--- this tells me that there is something either in the
kernel or in the system that is telling the kernel what the old disk used to
be.

I am completly lost and hope that someone else has an idea of what i should
do. BTW I have compiled my kernel statically, while the distos 2.4.18 was
modules, if that makes any difference.

Thank you,
Paul

* Re: Promise fasttrack raid, changed disk, unable to boot.
@ 2003-07-19 16:13 Walt H
From: Walt H @ 2003-07-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocran; +Cc: linux-kernel

Paul,

I recently ran across something similar after having received a warranty
replacement drive. Mine turned out to be some real funky geometry being
reported by the ide-disk layer. I came up with a fix, that worked for
me, not sure how universal it is. See the thread at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105840994419059&w=2

My patch that is attached in the first message of the thread is not
recommended, but the final simple fix worked also in my case. Does Linux
perhaps see the other drive with strange geometry? You can check with

cat /proc/ide/hd?/geometry

In my case, the head count reported by Linux was 255, which was bogus
and caused the problem. Hope this helps,

-Walt

* Promise fasttrack raid, changed disk, unable to boot.
@ 2003-07-11 23:32 Paul