From: jw schultz <jw@pegasys.ws>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Sb16 kernel parameters.
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:11:43 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:53:26AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:27:05 -0500,
> Wes Janzen wrote:
> >
> > And at the end of the sb16.c file I found:
> >
> > #ifndef MODULE
> >
> > /* format is: snd-sb16=enable,index,id,isapnp,
> >                        port,mpu_port,fm_port,
> >                        irq,dma8,dma16,
> >                        mic_agc,csp,
> >                        [awe_port,seq_ports]
> >
> > Which is probably what format you'll need to use but I don't know much
> > about drivers...;-)
> > I don't know what "id" stands for either...
>
> enable, index and id are common options for all modules.
> the id is the identifier string for this card instance and must be
> unique.  it's used as the directory name in /proc/asound, as the tag
> in /etc/asound.state, and so on.
> you can pass the arbitray string via option, or the null string so
> that the driver chooses an approriate name.

I've not been testing 2.5 yet and perhaps some of what you
said would make more sense if i had but i for one haven't a
clue to what the string equivalent to "sb=0x220,7,1,5" would
be or where i might specify it.  It's been a couple of years
since i did the digging to figure out i needed the sb= line
and what the contents should be.

How to do this needs to go into the 2.4-2.6 migration
document/FAQ.  And it should go in in a rather explicit way
on the order of "if for SB16 you have been using
sb=0x220,7,1,5 as a boot parameter you would now need to use
XXXX=XXXXXXXXXX as ZZZZZ.

	email address:		jw@pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt