* Re: 2.6.0: characters repeated when *pasting*?!
@ 2003-07-21  9:28 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, pavel, vojtech

> I copied text ole.rohne@cern.ch (using gpm), pasted it to emacs (right
> mouse button) in another console and it came out as
> oooooole.rohne@cern.ch. That looks extremely weird and suggests that
> repeated characters are indeed software problem.
>
> Its not reproducible, and nothing interesting in logs :-(.

Hmmm, are you sure you hadn't pressed meta-6 before pasting it in?

John.

* Re: 2.6.0: characters repeated when *pasting*?!
@ 2003-07-21 19:37 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-07-21 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: linux-kernel, vojtech

Hi!

> > I copied text ole.rohne@cern.ch (using gpm), pasted it to emacs (right
> > mouse button) in another console and it came out as
> > oooooole.rohne@cern.ch. That looks extremely weird and suggests that
> > repeated characters are indeed software problem.
> >
> > Its not reproducible, and nothing interesting in logs :-(.
>
> Hmmm, are you sure you hadn't pressed meta-6 before pasting it in?

I can't be sure... I do not think I pressed that, but it certainly is
possible that I wanted to switch consoles and pressed that by mistake.

								Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

* Re: 2.6.0: characters repeated when *pasting*?!
@ 2003-07-21 19:55   ` Charles Lepple
From: Charles Lepple @ 2003-07-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Pavel Machek said:
> Hi!
>
>> > I copied text ole.rohne@cern.ch (using gpm), pasted it to emacs (right
>> > mouse button) in another console and it came out as
>> > oooooole.rohne@cern.ch. That looks extremely weird and suggests that
>> > repeated characters are indeed software problem.
>> >
>> > Its not reproducible, and nothing interesting in logs :-(.
>>
>> Hmmm, are you sure you hadn't pressed meta-6 before pasting it in?
>
> I can't be sure... I do not think I pressed that, but it certainly is
> possible that I wanted to switch consoles and pressed that by mistake.

you can use "C-h l" (or "F1 l") next time to see emacs' idea of the last
few keystrokes. I'm guessing it was meta-6 or ctrl-u (if it was only four
'o's).

--
Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/

* 2.6.0: characters repeated when *pasting*?!
@ 2003-07-21  8:50 Pavel Machek