From: Roger Luethi <rl@hellgate.ch>
To: Meelis Roos <mroos@linux.ee>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: IDE DMA disabled messages for wrong drive?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:19:26 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:36:14 +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> I access hdd, I get DMA timeouts for hdd (for whatever reasons), then
> suddenly comes a message that DMA is disabled for hdc (not hdd).  hdc
> was not accessed at all suring this time - it's a cdrom and no CD was
> inserted and no CD access was tried.

I have seen this, too, with two harddisks (hda, hdb) on a recent 2.5
kernel: warnings about DMA timeouts on one of them, immediately followed by
a message about turning off DMA on the other one. I had to replace one of
the disks subsequently and lost the logs, but I remember wondering about
that. I supposed the kernel might have some reason to blame the hard disk
without warnings (both harddisks seemed rather suspicious at the time).

Roger