* cutting down on boot messages
@ 2003-07-25 19:57 Jurriaan
From: Jurriaan @ 2003-07-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

If I boot my system, there are copious messages.

For example:

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: considering hdc6 ...
md:  adding hdc6 ...
md: hdc5 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hdc3 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hdc1 has different UUID to hdc6
md:  adding hda6 ...
md: hda5 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hda3 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hda1 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hdi2 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hdi1 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hde2 has different UUID to hdc6
md: hde1 has different UUID to hdc6
md: created md5
md: bind<hda6>
md: bind<hdc6>
md: running: <hdc6><hda6>
md5: setting max_sectors to 128, segment boundary to 32767
raid1: raid set md5 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

Now these messages are often uninteresting - but sometimes they are.
So just deleting them, or requiring a recompile or reboot is not good
enough.
Also, I noted that these messages were almost always grouped together.

Suppose these messages were removed from the normal output, but instead
stored in a buffer in the kernel.

Then, you could do

dmesg.raid

to get at the raid-messages,

and

dmesg.raid --clear

to clear the buffer.

The same goes for other groups of messages, like the whole APIC/IRQ
routing block, ide messages, usb messages etc.

Would this keep the interesting information, but cut down on the amount
of messages? I'm now at 22k of dmesg, including raid, usb, apic etc, for
a single CPU system.

I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on this!

Jurriaan
--
REAL LIFE MANAGEMENT 'DILBERT QUOTATIONS':
11: One day my Boss asked me to submit a status report to him concerning a