From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com>
To: Jurriaan <thunder7@xs4all.nl>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: cutting down on boot messages
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:04:40 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:57:52PM +0200, Jurriaan wrote:
> of messages? I'm now at 22k of dmesg, including raid, usb, apic etc, for
> a single CPU system.

And you want more static buffers to store that in than now?  Many people
won't like that.

You'd do better to have a boot time command line option to limit printk
messages to err, or above.  Most of the printk messages have been given a
severity already, so this shouldn't be a problem, and it will probably
uncover some errors in the severity of certain messages.

Anyway, there are other ways to peel this union, including having the
messages to to tty2 instead of console (I've seen patches for this posted
before).