* Re: OT: Vanilla not for embedded?! Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?
       [not found]       ` <dTrN.5Te.7@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2003-07-27 14:33         ` Ihar "Philips" Filipau
From: Ihar "Philips" Filipau @ 2003-07-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Romieu; +Cc: linux-kernel

Francois Romieu wrote:
>>   Patches to remove mandatory (for 2.2/2.0) PCI/IDE support were pretty
>>common too.
>>   Patch to shrink network hashes - norm of life.
>>   Patch to kill PCI names database.
>>   And this is only things I was using personally (and I remember about)
>>in my short 4 years carrier.
>
> Would you mind publishing the patches ?

   As I already answered privately - I do have them right now.
   And those patches were not mine.
   Most of them was collected right on lkml or from digests on lwn.net.

   [ I was playing only with network code - and I was concerned with
performance more, than with image size. And had no luck achiving
something. ]

>>   CONFIG_TINY - http://lwn.net/Articles/14186/ - got something like
>>this merged? - so I'm the first guy in the download queue on ftp.kernel.org!
>

> See CONFIG_EMBEDDED.

   Okay. I have found it.
   But I cannot find how it is used.
   I have grepped thru 2.6.0-test0 - but I can find only entries in
defconfigs - but no mentions in .h/.c files.
   What I'm missing?

   And yes - this option doesn't work in 'make menuconfig'.

>>   For some reasons all "improvements" to kernel had lead to increase of
>>kernel size, not decrease. Strange, isn't it?
>
> No time for sarcasm here.

   Correct me if I'm wrong.
   I was just poking around 'small is beatiful'.

P.S. To my earlier 'far from vanilla' comment (-x '.*' - to skip
.depend/.config/etc):
$ diff -urN -x '.*' ./linux-2.4.17 \
/opt/hardhat/devkit/lsp/ibm-walnut-ppc_405/linux-2.4.17_mvl21\
| wc -l
     1128089
$
and more than 500 additional CONFIG_* parameters comparing to vanilla.

* Re: CONFIG_EMBEDDED in vanilla
@ 2003-07-27 15:08           ` Francois Romieu
From: Francois Romieu @ 2003-07-27 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihar Philips Filipau; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ihar Philips Filipau <filia@softhome.net> :
[...]
>    And those patches were not mine.

Testing/submitting/improving/syncing needs some generous amount of
time. You can easily help the author (especially) when things don't
evolve.

[...]
>    [ I was playing only with network code - and I was concerned with
> performance more, than with image size. And had no luck achiving
> something. ]

Try harder :o)

[...]
>    I have grepped thru 2.6.0-test0 - but I can find only entries in
> defconfigs - but no mentions in .h/.c files.

KConfig ?

[...]
>    And yes - this option doesn't work in 'make menuconfig'.

No kernel tree at hand to figure what "doesn't work" mean but:
ed .config<<EOD
/# CONFIG_EMBEDDED is not set
wq
EOD

make oldconfig

works like a charm here.

If something seems wrong with 'make menuconfig', feel free to submit
a detailled PR here or through bugzilla.kernel.org (as long as it
isn't a networking thing).

[...]
> and more than 500 additional CONFIG_* parameters comparing to vanilla.

Provided the vendor can afford an army of kernel hackers to maintain
it, it is fine.

No need to Cc: me, I am subscribed to l-k.

--
Ueimor