* Memory runs out fast with 2.6.0-test2 (and test1)
@ 2003-07-28  2:17 Marino Fernandez
From: Marino Fernandez @ 2003-07-28  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Everything works OK in my system... my only gripe is that I run out of memory
quickly. I have a Fujitsu C-7651 Lifebook laptop, Pentium III, 512 Mb Ram,
300 Mb swap.

When I start up (with KDE) I've alredy used 300 megs of ram. The if I open
mozilla, and view some phostos with kuickshow, thats it, I use 700 Megs of
physical and virtual memory...

Looking at ps aux shows that 5% goes to each of the 5 mozilla processes, 3%
for this, 2% for that... It is all accounted for in different ways. It is
just that running under 2.4.21, with the same programs I very rarely use my
swap memory, let alone use all my physical and swap memory.

PS
I had the same issue with test1.

PPS
Could it be that I am doing something stupid when I configure the kernel...
This is what I have in my config file.. may be config_nohighmem?:

# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y