From: Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>
To: andrew.grover@intel.com, jacob@netg.se, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RE: PROBLEM: ACPI hangs when invoked from keyboard
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:38:52 +0200 (MEST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:04:59 -0700, andrew.grover@intel.com wrote:
>This isn't ACPI, it's because 2.5.74+ force the APIC enabled.

In this case, the problematic 2.5.74 patch you're referring to
is NOT the culprit.

His machine is a P3 not P4, and we've _always_ force-enabled the
local APICs for all P6/K7-family processors. The 2.5.74 patch
only affects P4s.

(I'm thinking about a lapic/nolapic pair of kernel command-line
options, and possibly changing the P4 default to only enable
if lapic was on the command line. That should solve the issues
with local APIC + ACPI in broken BIOSen.)