* 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-28 22:59 Balram Adlakha
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-07-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29  8:48 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2003-07-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: linux-kernel

Balram Adlakha <b_adlakha@softhome.net> wrote:

> I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
> filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
> simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
> works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
> one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.

Works OK here, with `cp'.  How are you "transferring" the file?

You're sure there is sufficient disk space on the receiving end? (sorry)

Can you strace the copy operation, see why it terminates?

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 10:57   ` Balram Adlakha
       [not found]     ` <20030729114838.GS150921@niksula.cs.hut.fi>
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-07-29 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:48:22AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Balram Adlakha <b_adlakha@softhome.net> wrote:
> >
> > I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
> > filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
> > simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
> > works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
> > one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.
>
> Works OK here, with `cp'.  How are you "transferring" the file?
>
> You're sure there is sufficient disk space on the receiving end? (sorry)
>
> Can you strace the copy operation, see why it terminates?

Very strange, It was a 4.9 GB raw mpeg-ps file and I couldn't copy more than 914 mb of it using -test2, even playing the file from the server using mplayer didn't work (and I wasn't smart enough to use strace) then I rebooted with 2.4.20 and the whole file was copied. Now I tried copying a 990 mb wav file and it worked(using -test2). The orginal 4.9 GB file is not on the server now so I'll have to put it there first and then copy it again. It'll take some time on my slow NIC (and the server being a 300 Mhz laptop). I'll email you again, sorry.
And yes I have enough disk space on my system :>

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 11:10     ` P
       [not found]     ` <20030729114838.GS150921@niksula.cs.hut.fi>
From: P @ 2003-07-29 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel

Balram Adlakha wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:48:22AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>>Balram Adlakha <b_adlakha@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
>>>filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
>>>simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
>>>works fine.

Looks like rounding around 32 bits to me:

$ echo "((2^32)+(914*(1024^2)))/(1024^3)" | bc -l
4.89 #GB

Pádraig.

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 11:24 ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-07-29 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
> filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
> simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
> works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
> one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.

I noticed on 2.6.0-test1 that mounting a server using the userspace nfs
daemon (v2 I assume) doesn't work very well at all.  It was pretty much
useless.  I rarely ever could get a directory listing.  It would just spew
"nfs server not responding".

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 12:13   ` Balram Adlakha
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-07-29 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

I tried to copy the 4.9 GB file from the _local_ computer back to the server, it copies 2.1 GB of the file and quits. This is what strace says:

write(4, "8", 1)                        = -1 EFBIG (File too large)
--- SIGXFSZ (File size limit exceeded) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGXFSZ +++

Is this normal? Haven't tried with 2.4.20 yet...

@ 2003-07-29 13:00       ` Balram Adlakha
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-07-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Herva; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:48:38PM +0300, Ville Herva wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:27:06PM +0530, you [Balram Adlakha] wrote:

> > > Works OK here, with `cp'.  How are you "transferring" the file?
> > >
> > > You're sure there is sufficient disk space on the receiving end? (sorry)
> > >
> > > Can you strace the copy operation, see why it terminates?
> >
> > Very strange, It was a 4.9 GB raw mpeg-ps file and I couldn't copy more than 914 mb of it using -test2, even playing the file from the server using mplayer didn't work (and I wasn't smart enough to use strace) then I rebooted with 2.4.20 and the whole file was copied. Now I tried copying a 990 mb wav file and it worked(using -test2). The orginal 4.9 GB file is not on the server now so I'll have to put it there first and then copy it again. It'll take some time on my slow NIC (and the server being a 300 Mhz laptop). I'll email you again, sorry.
>
> Rather than copying a file over, you can create a sparse file very quickly:
>
>   touch foo; perl -e 'truncate "foo", 2000000000'
>
> (creates a 2000000000 byte sparse file). Neat thing is, sparse files don't
> take disk space on the server.
>
> Or if you prefer a non-sparse file:
>
>   head -c 2000m /dev/zero > foo
>

> -- v --
>
> v@iki.fi

Availablity of files is not a problem, theres already a large number of large files that I want to transfer to and from my computer. I didn't know about sparse files, will my NIC be used the same way?

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 13:04   ` Balram Adlakha
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-07-29 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wakko Warner; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:24:40AM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
> > filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
> > simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
> > works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
> > one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.
>
> I noticed on 2.6.0-test1 that mounting a server using the userspace nfs
> daemon (v2 I assume) doesn't work very well at all.  It was pretty much
> useless.  I rarely ever could get a directory listing.  It would just spew
> "nfs server not responding".
>
> --
>  Lab tests show that use of micro$oft causes cancer in lab animals

I'll try with the kernel NFS then, any idea why this happens?

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 13:44     ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-07-29 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > > I cannot transfer files larger than 914 mb from an NFS mounted
> > > filesystem to a local filesystem. A larger file than that is
> > > simply cut of at 914 MB. This is using 2.6.0-test1, 2.4.20
> > > works fine. Can it be the version of mount I'm using? Its the
> > > one that comes with util-linux-2.11y.
> >
> > I noticed on 2.6.0-test1 that mounting a server using the userspace nfs
> > daemon (v2 I assume) doesn't work very well at all.  It was pretty much
> > useless.  I rarely ever could get a directory listing.  It would just spew
> > "nfs server not responding".

> I'll try with the kernel NFS then, any idea why this happens?

That's what I'd like to know.  I have both provide nfsv3 and nfsv4 compiled.
I have not tried it w/o nfsv4 but I do use nfsv3.  One of my servers uses
the kernel nfsd with v3 support.

On a side note, I wish I could export / to whoever and everything seen on
the localsystem under / is exported just like the userspace daemon.

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 14:03     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-07-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: Wakko Warner, linux-kernel

     > I'll try with the kernel NFS then, any idea why this happens?

Yes... The userland NFS server only supports the NFSv2 protocol, which
again only supports filesizes < 2GB.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 14:06       ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-07-29 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wakko Warner; +Cc: Balram Adlakha, linux-kernel

     > On a side note, I wish I could export / to whoever and
     > everything seen on the localsystem under / is exported just
     > like the userspace daemon.

Your homework assignment for tomorrow:

    'man 5 exports'

In particular read up on 'nohide'

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: 2.6.0-test1 NFS file transfer
@ 2003-07-29 14:49         ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-07-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel

>      > On a side note, I wish I could export / to whoever and
>      > everything seen on the localsystem under / is exported just
>      > like the userspace daemon.
>
> Your homework assignment for tomorrow:
>
>     'man 5 exports'
>
> In particular read up on 'nohide'

I've done this.  I have to export every possible mountpoint still on the
server and have to export that for each individual ip.  I tried mounting a
server setup like that with client 2.6.0-test1 and nohide does not work.
with a 2.4.20 client, it does.  server kernel 2.4.20 nfsd 1.0.