* Re: APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
@ 2003-07-30 11:19 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2003-07-30 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: core, linux-kernel

On 29 Jul 2003 20:23:22 -0500, Shawn <core@enodev.com> wrote:
>I just bought a shiny new Athlon 2400+ and popped it in my biostar M7VIB
>with an up to date bios.
>
>I'm running 2.6.0-test1-mm2, and I get tons of "APIC error on CPU0:
>02(02)" messages. Can someone tell me what is going on?

02 = Receive checksum error. Your APIC bus is corrupting messages
sent to the CPU. This is a serious hardware problem, indicating
that the board hasn't been properly designed for APIC usage.

First try to avoid using the APIC bus: disable SMP and UP_IOAPIC.
If your BIOS allows it, set interrupt mode to PIC not APIC.
If you still get these errors (but you shouldn't unless the HW
is _really_ broken), also disable UP_APIC.

Or replace the board with something better.

* Re: APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
@ 2003-07-30  8:12 ` Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-07-30  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:23:22PM -0500, Shawn wrote:
> I just bought a shiny new Athlon 2400+ and popped it in my biostar M7VIB
> with an up to date bios.
>
> I'm running 2.6.0-test1-mm2, and I get tons of "APIC error on CPU0:
> 02(02)" messages. Can someone tell me what is going on?

in the ol' BP6 times (dual Celeron) APIC errors
where reported (by certain 2.4.x kernels, previous
versions simply ignored them) when an error occured
while the CPUs where communicating ...

as far as I understood, the communication between
APIC and CPU is checksummed (a very simple checksum,
like a parity) and if this checksum is invalid, the
action is restarted, so this okay, because an error
was avoided, but because the checksum is so simple
(IIRC only two bits), chances are good that some
faulty communication will go undetected ...

please, I'm no expert on Athlon APIC or such stuff,
so this could be total bullshit, but maybe some
APIC expert will comment on that ;)

best,
Herbert

> Info about my machine's hardware:
> http://www.enodev.com/info.html
> -

* Re: APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
@ 2003-07-30  1:50 ` sandalle
From: sandalle @ 2003-07-30  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn; +Cc: linux-kernel

Quoting Shawn <core@enodev.com>:

> I just bought a shiny new Athlon 2400+ and popped it in my biostar M7VIB
> with an up to date bios.
>
> I'm running 2.6.0-test1-mm2, and I get tons of "APIC error on CPU0:
> 02(02)" messages. Can someone tell me what is going on?
>
> Info about my machine's hardware:
> http://www.enodev.com/info.html

I had the same problem on my Athlon-MP 2400+ on a Chaintech board (but my
Athlon-XP 2500+ on an nForce2 board booted fine) by disabling IO-APIC and SMP in
the kernel (I only have one processor atm).

-sandalle

* APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
@ 2003-07-30  1:23 Shawn