* Quota Hash Abstraction 2.6.0-test2
@ 2003-07-31 18:43 Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-07-31 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Jan Kara, linux-kernel

Hi Everyone!

Last time I posted the Quota Hash Abstraction for 2.4
somebody suggested doing it for 2.6, because it "might
be interesting", so I thought, give it a try, and here
it is ...

please, if somebody has any quota tests, which he/she
is willing to do on this code, or just want to do some
testing with this code, do it and send me the results ...

this patch requires the quota fix done by Jan Kara,
otherwise quota would not work at all ...

TIA,
Herbert

[-- Attachment #2: patch-2.6.0-test2-mq0.06.diff.bz2 --]

[-- Attachment #3: patch-2.6.0-test2-quotafix.diff.bz2 --]

* Re: Quota Hash Abstraction 2.6.0-test2
@ 2003-09-03 14:56 ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-09-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20030731184341.GA21078@www.13thfloor.at>,
Herbert =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=F6tzl?=  <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

Is any of this, particularly the work mentioned in the last paragraph
getting into the mail kernel?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: Quota Hash Abstraction 2.6.0-test2
@ 2003-09-03 16:14   ` Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2003-09-03 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:56:58PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <20030731184341.GA21078@www.13thfloor.at>,
> Herbert =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=F6tzl?=  <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
>
> Is any of this, particularly the work mentioned in the last paragraph
> getting into the mail kernel?

the quota fix was included in the next (test) release
so default quota will work again ...

the Quota Hash Abstraction is neither a (big) performance
gain nor a feature bonus for the end user ... it is more
an enhancement to the code itself, allowing to have more
than one quota hash for arbitrary purposes ...

I doubt, that this code will ever make it into mainline
without another 'good' reason to use it, but maybe the
--bind mount quota stuff would be such a reason, if the
interest for such things will eventually grow ...

HTH,
Herbert

@ 2003-09-03 17:23     ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-09-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20030903161435.GC24897@DUK2.13thfloor.at>,
Herbert Poetzl  <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
| On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:56:58PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
| > In article <20030731184341.GA21078@www.13thfloor.at>,
| > Herbert =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=F6tzl?=  <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
| >
| > Is any of this, particularly the work mentioned in the last paragraph
| > getting into the mail kernel?
|
| the quota fix was included in the next (test) release
| so default quota will work again ...

Thanks for the quick response, that was my prime concern. I expect to
need quota again in the near future.

| the Quota Hash Abstraction is neither a (big) performance
| gain nor a feature bonus for the end user ... it is more
| an enhancement to the code itself, allowing to have more
| than one quota hash for arbitrary purposes ...
|
| I doubt, that this code will ever make it into mainline
| without another 'good' reason to use it, but maybe the
| --bind mount quota stuff would be such a reason, if the
| interest for such things will eventually grow ...
|
| HTH,
| Herbert

Big help, I have never had a performance problem with the quota stuff
other than not performing at all ;-) Good to have the code handy though,
use often follows capability rather than drives it.