* Re: issues with any ac sources, and 2.6
@ 2003-08-03 20:56 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-08-03 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbeutner, linux-kernel

> i run a tyan tiger s2462 board with dual athlons, with the gentoo
> flavor on it, recently i tried to run the ac sourcess kernel on this
> machine, however upon boot the machine would just freeze up in the
> middle of kernel boot, either dying while attaching ide's to devices
> or while detecting the ide chipset, the odd part to this is that
> using generic linux sources the machine boots just fine the other
> issue seems to be that using the 2.6-beta versions it panic.
> it does so by telling me that i have corrupt cpu context and then
> panics, there are no hints or warning as to what it could be any
> help would be greatly appreciated

For the AC kernels, try backing out just the IDE patches, and see if
that allows you to boot.

For 2.6, does the machine finish booting, and then panic, or does it
panic during the boot?  Did you try any of the 2.5 kernels, or did you
start with 2.6?  If it panics during boot, does it always panic at the
same place, and if so where?  Posting the boot time output of dmesg,
and lspci -vvv would be helpful here.

John.

* Re: issues with any ac sources, and 2.6
@ 2003-08-03 21:30 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-08-03 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sul, 2003-08-03 at 21:56, John Bradford wrote:
> For the AC kernels, try backing out just the IDE patches, and see if
> that allows you to boot.

I dont think 2.6-ac has any IDE patches. Its a fair collection of driver
stuff so it could be hitting one of the driver things easily enough

* Re: issues with any ac sources, and 2.6
@ 2003-08-03 23:06 ` joe briggs
From: joe briggs @ 2003-08-03 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford, bbeutner, linux-kernel

I got one of those in my office running 2.4.21-ac.  It runs well. Do you want
to try my kernel?  Those boards are real sensitive to ESD and constantly
loose their BIOS values if you swap a board out or pull a cable. I had one
that refused to boot on me today and I just pulled and reseated the PCI cards
and it came back to life.

On Sunday 03 August 2003 04:56 pm, John Bradford wrote:
> > i run a tyan tiger s2462 board with dual athlons, with the gentoo
> > flavor on it, recently i tried to run the ac sourcess kernel on this
> > machine, however upon boot the machine would just freeze up in the
> > middle of kernel boot, either dying while attaching ide's to devices
> > or while detecting the ide chipset, the odd part to this is that
> > using generic linux sources the machine boots just fine the other
> > issue seems to be that using the 2.6-beta versions it panic.
> > it does so by telling me that i have corrupt cpu context and then
> > panics, there are no hints or warning as to what it could be any
> > help would be greatly appreciated
>
> For the AC kernels, try backing out just the IDE patches, and see if
> that allows you to boot.
>
> For 2.6, does the machine finish booting, and then panic, or does it
> panic during the boot?  Did you try any of the 2.5 kernels, or did you
> start with 2.6?  If it panics during boot, does it always panic at the
> same place, and if so where?  Posting the boot time output of dmesg,
> and lspci -vvv would be helpful here.
>
> John.
> -

Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems
105 Burnsen Ave.
Manchester NH 01304 USA
TEL 603-232-3115 FAX 603-625-5809 MOBILE 603-493-2386
www.briggsmedia.com

* Re: issues with any ac sources, and 2.6
@ 2003-08-03 21:56 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-08-03 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, john; +Cc: bbeutner, linux-kernel

> > For the AC kernels, try backing out just the IDE patches, and see if
> > that allows you to boot.
>
> I dont think 2.6-ac has any IDE patches. Its a fair collection of driver
> stuff so it could be hitting one of the driver things easily enough

It's 2.4-ac that he's testing.  The 2.6 non-boot issue is separate.

John.

* issues with any ac sources, and 2.6
@ 2003-08-03 18:20 Bastian