* time jumps (again)
@ 2003-08-04 16:35 Patrick Moor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Moor @ 2003-08-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

Some days ago I started noticing strange time jumps on my Athlon system.
(Asus board, VIA chipset, AMD Athlon 650MHz processor). I haven't
noticed them before and I am pretty sure there weren't any for the last
few years! Uptime of the machine is now 218 days, and problems began
appearing after 215 days approximately.

What happens: when doing a
  $ while true; do date; done
I'm noticing time jumps _exactly_ at the beginning of a "new" second (or
at the end of an "old" one). the jump is exactly 4294 (4295) seconds
into the future. Example:
Mon Aug  4 18:11:06 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 18:11:06 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 19:22:41 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 19:22:41 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 19:22:41 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 18:11:07 CEST 2003
Mon Aug  4 18:11:07 CEST 2003

I've found some previous discussions about this about a year ago:

   http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0203.3/0557.html
   http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0206.0/1505.html

What seems strange to me is, that these jumps have never occured before.
The machine is running a plain 2.4.20 kernel.

So my question is: will disabling the CONFIG_X86_TSC option and passing
"notsc" as boot parameter fix the problem? Or did I get something wrong
there?

thanks
  patrick