* FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-14 19:54 James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-08-14 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks!!

  Here is the latest fbdev BK drop. It is against 2.6.0-test3. Test it out
and tell me your results. I like to do a code drop soon.

http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

bk pull http://fbdev.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.6

This will update the following files:

 Documentation/fb/neofb.txt     |   27
 MAINTAINERS                    |    5
 drivers/char/vt_ioctl.c        |   12
 drivers/video/Kconfig          |  100
 drivers/video/Makefile         |    9
 drivers/video/asiliantfb.c     |  619 +++
 drivers/video/aty/Makefile     |    1
 drivers/video/cfbimgblt.c      |    2
 drivers/video/chipsfb.c        |    4
 drivers/video/console/Makefile |   29
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.c  |  369 -
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.h  |    2
 drivers/video/controlfb.c      |   10
 drivers/video/epson1355fb.c    |  967 ++--
 drivers/video/fbmem.c          |  116
 drivers/video/g364fb.c         |   78
 drivers/video/i810/Makefile    |    7
 drivers/video/imsttfb.c        |    2
 drivers/video/logo/Makefile    |   15
 drivers/video/logo/logo.c      |    5
 drivers/video/macfb.c          |   34
 drivers/video/neofb.c          |  338 +
 drivers/video/platinumfb.c     |   10
 drivers/video/pvr2fb.c         |  846 +---
 drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c     |   75
 drivers/video/riva/nv_type.h   |   12
 drivers/video/sis/300vtbl.h    | 2437 ++----------
 drivers/video/sis/310vtbl.h    | 2574 ++----------
 drivers/video/sis/init.c       | 1882 +++++----
 drivers/video/sis/init.h       | 2435 +++++++++++-
 drivers/video/sis/init301.c    | 8208 +++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
 drivers/video/sis/init301.h    |  222 -
 drivers/video/sis/initdef.h    |  185
 drivers/video/sis/oem300.h     |  502 --
 drivers/video/sis/oem310.h     |   88
 drivers/video/sis/osdef.h      |  122
 drivers/video/sis/sis_accel.c  |   68
 drivers/video/sis/sis_accel.h  |   27
 drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c   | 3752 ++++++++++--------
 drivers/video/sis/sis_main.h   |  575 +-
 drivers/video/sis/vgatypes.h   |   81
 drivers/video/sis/vstruct.h    |  138
 drivers/video/skeletonfb.c     |   74
 drivers/video/softcursor.c     |   72
 drivers/video/tdfxfb.c         |   47
 drivers/video/valkyriefb.c     |  548 --
 drivers/video/vesafb.c         |   17
 drivers/video/vgastate.c       |    1
 include/linux/fb.h             |   88
 include/linux/linux_logo.h     |    4
 include/linux/pci_ids.h        |   11
 include/video/epson1355.h      |   64
 include/video/neomagic.h       |  261 -
 include/video/sisfb.h          |   91

through these ChangeSets:

<jsimmons@bohr.(none)> (03/08/11 1.1151)
   [NEOMAGIC FBDEV] Add going between graphics and VGA text mode.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/21 1.1046.1.225)
   [TDFX FBDEV] Fixes to make the image blitter work. Also the color handling code was fixed.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/15 1.1046.1.221)
   [FBCON] Always turn off the cursor in fbcon_cursor. The reason is that cursor might try to blink while we are reprogramming the hardware.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/11 1.1046.1.218)
   [IMSTT FBDEV] Free up resources when it fails.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/11 1.1046.1.217)
   [FBDEV] Makefiel cleanups.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/11 1.1046.1.216)
   [ASILIANT FBDEV] Added support for the asiliant graphics chipset.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/09 1.1046.1.211)
   [RIVA FBDEV] Support for more versions of GEFORCE 4. Also some cursor cleanup to allow it to compile.

<jsimmons@host-193.int.pioneer-pra.com> (03/07/08 1.1046.1.208)
   [SIS FBDEV] Updates to the SiS framebuffer driver. Add support for 760 chipset, LCD scaling.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/07/03 1.1046.1.205)
   [NEOMAGIC FBDEV] Fixed a nasty bug in the copyarea function. It wasn't testing for the condition when both regions have the same y coordinates but are over lapping. This casued a corrpution of data. Also started ot used the macros in vga.h.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/30 1.1046.1.200)
   [LOGO] Display the correct logo for MIPS DEC workstations.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/25 1.1046.1.194)
   [FBCON] Removed the crappy ROP_COPY/ROP_XOR test for flashing the cursor. Now we disable and enable the cursor timer instead.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/24 1.1046.1.192)
   [FBDEV] Now we can use a specific hardware mapper for different hardware functionality.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/23 1.1046.1.188)
   [VGA CORE] Added needed vmalloc header.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/23 1.1046.1.185)
   [FBCON] When using 512 characters, the mouse pointer starts using the wrong complement_mask after a console reset.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/23 1.1046.1.184)
   [FBDEV] Made chipsfb/controlfb/platinumfb use the xxfb kernel command line string.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/06/18 1.1046.1.180)
   [MAC FBDEV] Bug fixes.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/06/15 1.1046.1.176)
   [SIS FBDEV] More updates for the SIS driver.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/06/14 1.1046.1.174)
   [CONTROL/PLATINUM FBDEV] Fix to match change in fb_set_var.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/06/10 1.1046.1.170)
   [FBDEV] Fixed a issue with soft_cursor. It only worked with drivers with a pixmap.scan_align of 1. Now it will work with any.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/07 1.1046.1.164)
   [SIS FBDEV] Fixed sysnc issue.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/06/05 1.1046.1.160)
   [FBCON] Cleared out the struct fb_cursor we passed in. Other wise we get random data being used.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/05/30 1.1046.1.155)
   [FBDEV GENERIC ACCEL] Fixed why logo was not displayed for some.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/24 1.1046.155.3)
   [VALKYRUE FBDEV] Ported to new api.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/23 1.1046.155.1)
   [FBDEV] Updates to explain the new cursor api.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/23 1.1046.1.142)
   [EPSON FRAMEBUFFER] Ported to the new api. Added support for the arm platform.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/15 1.1046.84.18)
   [SIS FBDEV] SIS Framebuffer updates.
                 - Added preliminary and untested support for SiS660
                 - Added DDC support
                 - Enhanced proprietary programming API for compatibility with X driver
                   and upcoming SDL updates and upcoming vidix driver for mplayer
                 - Fixes for video bridge output on various HW combinations
                 - Fixes in TV detection
                 - Reduced source size by removing duplicated data
                 - Updated Kconfig descriptions

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/14 1.1046.73.2)
   [PVR2 FBDEV] Port of the Dreamcast Frambuffer to the new api.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/12 1.1046.7.19)
   [FBCON] set_con2fb_map wasn't testing to see the VC we where mapping to actually exist. Now it does.

           I add code to fbcon_cursor to reset the hotspot if it was changed by userland.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/12 1.1046.7.17)
   [RIVA FBDEV] Removal of exccess variable. Kills off a few warnings.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/12 1.1046.7.16)
   [VESA FBDEV] Removed the EDID code. The results where mixed. It worked for some but not for others.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/05/12 1.1046.7.15)
   [CONSOLE] This patch fixes the problem of not being able to set the fonts on VCs other than the first one. This also was the bug that was casuing dual head (vga and mda) to lock up.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/05/02 1.1042.122.2)
   [FBDEV] Synced to kdev_t change.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/04/22 1.1042.37.2)
   [FBDEV] Moved pixmap to the kernel side of the header. Will not be needed for ioctl calls at the present time.

   [FBCON] Lots more optimizations.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/04/21 1.1042.37.1)
   [LOGO] Removed fb_ prefix. Wil be used by other drivers such as the newport driver.

   [G354 FBDEV] Now use the final cursor api.

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-14 20:36 ` Otto Solares
From: Otto Solares @ 2003-08-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:54:21PM +0100, James Simmons wrote:

> Hi folks!!
>
>   Here is the latest fbdev BK drop. It is against 2.6.0-test3. Test it out
> and tell me your results. I like to do a code drop soon.

James:

what is the current state of PM in fb drivers?

does modedb is being used on 2.6 drivers?

Is there an API (or lib) to use framebuffers devices without
worring about differents visuals?, to quering, setting or
disabling EDID support? will these drivers export sysfs
entries instead of control via ioctl's?

thanks for your work on fb.

-solca

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-14 20:52   ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-08-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> what is the current state of PM in fb drivers?

Experinmental patch from Ben is in the works.

> does modedb is being used on 2.6 drivers?

Yes.

> Is there an API (or lib) to use framebuffers devices without
> worring about differents visuals?,

???

> to quering, setting or
> disabling EDID support?

Yes. That is the fbmon.c stuff. Still needs work.

> will these drivers export sysfs
> entries instead of control via ioctl's?

Needs to be done. I'm not familiar with sysfs so it hasn't been done.

> thanks for your work on fb.

Your welcome.

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-14 23:16   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-08-14 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otto Solares

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:36:58PM -0600, Otto Solares wrote:

> Is there an API (or lib) to use framebuffers devices without
> worring about differents visuals?, to quering, setting or
> disabling EDID support? will these drivers export sysfs
> entries instead of control via ioctl's?

I have some initial sysfs patches for the fb code that I've been sitting
on in my trees.  I was waiting for these patches to hit the mainline
before bothering James and the rest of the world with them.

But they don't export any of the ioctl stuff through the sysfs
interface, but that would not be very hard to do at all if you want to.
They just basically show the major/minor of the fb device, and point
back to the proper place in the device tree where the fb device lives,
which is all udev really needs right now.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-15  8:40     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-08-15  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 22:52, James Simmons wrote:
> > what is the current state of PM in fb drivers?
>
> Experinmental patch from Ben is in the works.

That patch actually works here and I'm more/less waiting for it
to be merged so I can send you the driver updates based on it.
(It's becoming rather urgent. My pending PowerMac updates that
port things to the new model are causing PM to break on PowerBook
laptops now because fbdev has incorrect PM and the "old style" thing
isn't properly ordered).

The only thing you may probably want to fix (because you know
that code better than I do) are:

 - the "resume" callback in fbcon where I currently just refresh
the foreground console, while you may actually want to refresh the
one on this fb since I suppose that with mutiple heads, we may have
consoles on more than one head ?

 - the suspend callback where you probably want to disable the
cursor timer

Ben.

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-15 22:31       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-08-15 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt

> That patch actually works here and I'm more/less waiting for it
> to be merged so I can send you the driver updates based on it.
> (It's becoming rather urgent. My pending PowerMac updates that
> port things to the new model are causing PM to break on PowerBook
> laptops now because fbdev has incorrect PM and the "old style" thing
> isn't properly ordered).
>
> The only thing you may probably want to fix (because you know
> that code better than I do) are:
>
>  - the "resume" callback in fbcon where I currently just refresh
> the foreground console, while you may actually want to refresh the
> one on this fb since I suppose that with mutiple heads, we may have
> consoles on more than one head ?
>
>  - the suspend callback where you probably want to disable the
> cursor timer

Will do. I like to also handle Video mode change. Even userland will like
to know when a mode change happened. For userland a signal can be sent.
This would be useful for someone in X that runs fbset in a Xterm. This
hoses the X server. It would be nice if the X server would see the signal
change and adapt to it. Fbset could in theory be used again to change a VC
size. Yuck!!!! But it is what people want.

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-15 22:37     ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-08-15 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH

> > Is there an API (or lib) to use framebuffers devices without
> > worring about differents visuals?, to quering, setting or
> > disabling EDID support? will these drivers export sysfs
> > entries instead of control via ioctl's?
>
> I have some initial sysfs patches for the fb code that I've been sitting
> on in my trees.  I was waiting for these patches to hit the mainline
> before bothering James and the rest of the world with them.
>
> But they don't export any of the ioctl stuff through the sysfs
> interface, but that would not be very hard to do at all if you want to.
> They just basically show the major/minor of the fb device, and point
> back to the proper place in the device tree where the fb device lives,
> which is all udev really needs right now.

Could you send me those patches :-)

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-15 23:42         ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-08-15 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons

> Will do. I like to also handle Video mode change. Even userland will like
> to know when a mode change happened. For userland a signal can be sent.
> This would be useful for someone in X that runs fbset in a Xterm. This
> hoses the X server. It would be nice if the X server would see the signal
> change and adapt to it. Fbset could in theory be used again to change a VC
> size. Yuck!!!! But it is what people want.

And for good reasons as we still have to deal with cases
where neither the driver nor modedb knows what the monitor supports...

Ben.

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-15 23:54       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-08-15 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:37:21PM +0100, James Simmons wrote:

> > > Is there an API (or lib) to use framebuffers devices without
> > > worring about differents visuals?, to quering, setting or
> > > disabling EDID support? will these drivers export sysfs
> > > entries instead of control via ioctl's?
> >
> > I have some initial sysfs patches for the fb code that I've been sitting
> > on in my trees.  I was waiting for these patches to hit the mainline
> > before bothering James and the rest of the world with them.
> >
> > But they don't export any of the ioctl stuff through the sysfs
> > interface, but that would not be very hard to do at all if you want to.
> > They just basically show the major/minor of the fb device, and point
> > back to the proper place in the device tree where the fb device lives,
> > which is all udev really needs right now.
>
> Could you send me those patches :-)

I'll clean them up, and port all fb drivers to them (I only did the ones
that I had hardware too), and send them to you next week.  Do not let
them hold anything up that you can send to Linus though, they are not
that important at all right now.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-16  2:40           ` Otto Solares
From: Otto Solares @ 2003-08-16  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 01:42:32AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Will do. I like to also handle Video mode change. Even userland will like
> > to know when a mode change happened. For userland a signal can be sent.
> > This would be useful for someone in X that runs fbset in a Xterm. This
> > hoses the X server. It would be nice if the X server would see the signal
> > change and adapt to it. Fbset could in theory be used again to change a VC
> > size. Yuck!!!! But it is what people want.
>
> And for good reasons as we still have to deal with cases
> where neither the driver nor modedb knows what the monitor supports...

It could be really cool if in sysfs be a file with
video modes, something like this:

1024x768x24@80
1024x768x24@60
800x600x24@60
600x400x16@75

and other file named current_mode (or something) with the
current setting, you just echo a value there and bingo,
a video mode change with the desired refresh rate, is that
hard? EDID and modedb can help us here.

Don't you think?

-solca

* Re: FBDEV updates.
@ 2003-08-16  6:01 ` Sven Schnelle
From: Sven Schnelle @ 2003-08-16  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

>   Here is the latest fbdev BK drop. It is against 2.6.0-test3. Test it out
> and tell me your results. I like to do a code drop soon.

Thanks for this patch, it runs now quite nice on a RIVA TNT2. Is there
any special reason why you use soft_cursor in rivafb? I changed the
rivafb_cursor to the new code, maybe you have a look ;-)

-------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------------------------------
diff -Naur linux-2.6.0-test3/drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c linux-2.6.0-test3-sv/drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c
--- linux-2.6.0-test3/drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c	2003-08-16 07:47:20.000000000 +0200
+++ linux-2.6.0-test3-sv/drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c	2003-08-16 07:39:39.000000000 +0200
@@ -460,48 +460,11 @@
 	return (VGA_RD08(par->riva.PVIO, 0x3cc));
 }

-static u8 byte_rev[256] = {
-	0x00, 0x80, 0x40, 0xc0, 0x20, 0xa0, 0x60, 0xe0,
-	0x10, 0x90, 0x50, 0xd0, 0x30, 0xb0, 0x70, 0xf0,
-	0x08, 0x88, 0x48, 0xc8, 0x28, 0xa8, 0x68, 0xe8,
-	0x18, 0x98, 0x58, 0xd8, 0x38, 0xb8, 0x78, 0xf8,
-	0x04, 0x84, 0x44, 0xc4, 0x24, 0xa4, 0x64, 0xe4,
-	0x14, 0x94, 0x54, 0xd4, 0x34, 0xb4, 0x74, 0xf4,
-	0x0c, 0x8c, 0x4c, 0xcc, 0x2c, 0xac, 0x6c, 0xec,
-	0x1c, 0x9c, 0x5c, 0xdc, 0x3c, 0xbc, 0x7c, 0xfc,
-	0x02, 0x82, 0x42, 0xc2, 0x22, 0xa2, 0x62, 0xe2,
-	0x12, 0x92, 0x52, 0xd2, 0x32, 0xb2, 0x72, 0xf2,
-	0x0a, 0x8a, 0x4a, 0xca, 0x2a, 0xaa, 0x6a, 0xea,
-	0x1a, 0x9a, 0x5a, 0xda, 0x3a, 0xba, 0x7a, 0xfa,
-	0x06, 0x86, 0x46, 0xc6, 0x26, 0xa6, 0x66, 0xe6,
-	0x16, 0x96, 0x56, 0xd6, 0x36, 0xb6, 0x76, 0xf6,
-	0x0e, 0x8e, 0x4e, 0xce, 0x2e, 0xae, 0x6e, 0xee,
-	0x1e, 0x9e, 0x5e, 0xde, 0x3e, 0xbe, 0x7e, 0xfe,
-	0x01, 0x81, 0x41, 0xc1, 0x21, 0xa1, 0x61, 0xe1,
-	0x11, 0x91, 0x51, 0xd1, 0x31, 0xb1, 0x71, 0xf1,
-	0x09, 0x89, 0x49, 0xc9, 0x29, 0xa9, 0x69, 0xe9,
-	0x19, 0x99, 0x59, 0xd9, 0x39, 0xb9, 0x79, 0xf9,
-	0x05, 0x85, 0x45, 0xc5, 0x25, 0xa5, 0x65, 0xe5,
-	0x15, 0x95, 0x55, 0xd5, 0x35, 0xb5, 0x75, 0xf5,
-	0x0d, 0x8d, 0x4d, 0xcd, 0x2d, 0xad, 0x6d, 0xed,
-	0x1d, 0x9d, 0x5d, 0xdd, 0x3d, 0xbd, 0x7d, 0xfd,
-	0x03, 0x83, 0x43, 0xc3, 0x23, 0xa3, 0x63, 0xe3,
-	0x13, 0x93, 0x53, 0xd3, 0x33, 0xb3, 0x73, 0xf3,
-	0x0b, 0x8b, 0x4b, 0xcb, 0x2b, 0xab, 0x6b, 0xeb,
-	0x1b, 0x9b, 0x5b, 0xdb, 0x3b, 0xbb, 0x7b, 0xfb,
-	0x07, 0x87, 0x47, 0xc7, 0x27, 0xa7, 0x67, 0xe7,
-	0x17, 0x97, 0x57, 0xd7, 0x37, 0xb7, 0x77, 0xf7,
-	0x0f, 0x8f, 0x4f, 0xcf, 0x2f, 0xaf, 0x6f, 0xef,
-	0x1f, 0x9f, 0x5f, 0xdf, 0x3f, 0xbf, 0x7f, 0xff,
-};
-
-static inline void reverse_order(u32 *l)
+static inline u32 reverse_order(u32 val)
 {
-	u8 *a = (u8 *)l;
-	*a = byte_rev[*a], a++;
-	*a = byte_rev[*a], a++;
-	*a = byte_rev[*a], a++;
-	*a = byte_rev[*a];
+return((val & 0x80808080) >> 7 | (val & 0x40404040) >> 5 | (val & 0x20202020) >> 3 | \
+       (val & 0x10101010) >> 1 | (val & 0x08080808) << 1 | (val & 0x04040404) << 3 | \
+       (val & 0x02020202) << 5 | (val & 0x01010101) << 7);
 }

 /* ------------------------------------------------------------------------- *
@@ -534,13 +497,14 @@
 	int i, j, k = 0;
 	u32 b, m, tmp;

+
 	for (i = 0; i < h; i++) {
-		b = *((u32 *)data)++;
+
+		b = reverse_order(*((u32 *)data)++);
 		m = *((u32 *)mask)++;
-		reverse_order(&b);
-
+
 		for (j = 0; j < w/2; j++) {
-			tmp = 0;
+		tmp = 0;
 #if defined (__BIG_ENDIAN)
 			if (m & (1 << 31)) {
 				fg |= 1 << 15;
@@ -565,7 +529,7 @@
 			tmp = (b & 1) ? fg : bg;
 			b >>= 1;
 			m >>= 1;
-
+
 			if (m & 1) {
 				fg |= 1 << 15;
 				bg |= 1 << 15;
@@ -573,10 +537,11 @@
 			tmp |= (b & 1) ? fg << 16 : bg << 16;
 			b >>= 1;
 			m >>= 1;
+
 #endif
-			writel(tmp, par->riva.CURSOR + k++);
-		}
-		k += (MAX_CURS - w)/2;
+				writel(tmp, par->riva.CURSOR + k++);
+			}
+		    k += (MAX_CURS - w)/2;
 	}
 }

@@ -1428,7 +1393,7 @@
 			     const struct fb_image *image)
 {
 	struct riva_par *par = (struct riva_par *) info->par;
-	u32 fgx = 0, bgx = 0, width, tmp;
+	u32 fgx = 0, bgx = 0, width;
 	u8 *cdat = (u8 *) image->data;
 	volatile u32 *d;
 	int i, size;
@@ -1474,23 +1439,20 @@

 	width = (image->width + 31)/32;
 	size = width * image->height;
+
 	while (size >= 16) {
 		RIVA_FIFO_FREE(par->riva, Bitmap, 16);
-		for (i = 0; i < 16; i++) {
-			tmp = *((u32 *)cdat)++;
-			reverse_order(&tmp);
-			d[i] = tmp;
-		}
+		for (i = 0; i < 16; i++)
+			d[i] = reverse_order(*((u32 *)cdat)++);
 		size -= 16;
-	}
+		}
+
 	if (size) {
 		RIVA_FIFO_FREE(par->riva, Bitmap, size);
-		for (i = 0; i < size; i++) {
-			tmp = *((u32 *) cdat)++;
-			reverse_order(&tmp);
-			d[i] = tmp;
+		for (i = 0; i < size; i++)
+			d[i] = reverse_order(*((u32 *) cdat)++);
+
 		}
-	}
 }

 /**
@@ -1509,9 +1471,17 @@
 static int rivafb_cursor(struct fb_info *info, struct fb_cursor *cursor)
 {
 	struct riva_par *par = (struct riva_par *) info->par;
+	unsigned int scan_align = info->pixmap.scan_align - 1;
+	unsigned int buf_align = info->pixmap.buf_align - 1;
+		u8 *dst = (u8 *) info->cursor.image.data;
+	unsigned int i, size, pitch;
 	u16 fg, bg;
-	int i;

+	pitch = ((info->cursor.image.width + 7) >> 3) + scan_align;
+	pitch &= ~scan_align;
+	size = pitch * info->cursor.image.height + buf_align;
+	size &= ~buf_align;
+
 	par->riva.ShowHideCursor(&par->riva, 0);

 	if (cursor->set & FB_CUR_SETPOS) {
@@ -1540,36 +1510,37 @@
 	if (cursor->set & (FB_CUR_SETSHAPE | FB_CUR_SETCMAP)) {
 		u32 bg_idx = info->cursor.image.bg_color;
 		u32 fg_idx = info->cursor.image.fg_color;
-		u8 *dat = (u8 *) info->cursor.image.data;
-		u8 *msk = (u8 *) info->cursor.mask;
-		u8 src[64];
-
 		switch (info->cursor.rop) {
 		case ROP_XOR:
-			for (i = 0; i < info->sprite.size; i++)
-					src[i] = dat[i] ^ msk[i];
+			for (i = 0; i < size; i++)
+					dst[i] ^= info->cursor.mask[i];
 			break;
 		case ROP_COPY:
 		default:
-			for (i = 0; i < info->sprite.size; i++)
-					src[i] = dat[i] & msk[i];
+			for (i = 0; i < size; i++)
+					dst[i] &= info->cursor.mask[i];
 			break;
 		}

 		bg = ((info->cmap.red[bg_idx] & 0xf8) << 7) |
 		     ((info->cmap.green[bg_idx] & 0xf8) << 2) |
-		     ((info->cmap.blue[bg_idx] & 0xf8) >> 3);
+		     ((info->cmap.blue[bg_idx] & 0xf8) >> 3) | 0x8000;

 		fg = ((info->cmap.red[fg_idx] & 0xf8) << 7) |
 		     ((info->cmap.green[fg_idx] & 0xf8) << 2) |
-		     ((info->cmap.blue[fg_idx] & 0xf8) >> 3);
+		     ((info->cmap.blue[fg_idx] & 0xf8) >> 3) | 0x8000;

 		par->riva.LockUnlock(&par->riva, 0);

-		rivafb_load_cursor_image(par, dat, msk, bg, fg,
-					 info->cursor.image.width,
+
+		memset_io(par->riva.CURSOR, 0, MAX_CURS * MAX_CURS*2);
+
+		if(info->cursor.image.data)
+		    rivafb_load_cursor_image(par, dst, info->cursor.mask, bg, fg, \
+					 info->cursor.image.width, \
 					 info->cursor.image.height);
-	}
+		}
+
 	if (info->cursor.enable)
 		par->riva.ShowHideCursor(&par->riva, 1);
 	return 0;
@@ -1602,7 +1573,7 @@
 	.fb_fillrect 	= rivafb_fillrect,
 	.fb_copyarea 	= rivafb_copyarea,
 	.fb_imageblit 	= rivafb_imageblit,
-	.fb_cursor	= soft_cursor,
+	.fb_cursor	= rivafb_cursor,
 	.fb_sync 	= rivafb_sync,
 };
-----------------------------------------8<-----------------------------------------

--
Sven Schnelle, <schnelle@kabelleipzig.de>

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-21  1:45       ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2003-02-21  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons
	Linux Fbdev development list

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 11:58, James Simmons wrote:
> > (3) persuade me that I want to write matroxcon and forget about fbcon at all, or
>
> This is the best solution.

And then we will have sbuscon as well, thus two places where
putcs() is necessary.

I don't understand, but I do hope that at some point it will be
realized that maybe allowing fbcon to generically handle putcs()
hardware is beneficial.

I can dream. :-)

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 19:58     ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-02-20 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec

> I was for five weeks in U.S., so I did not do anything with
> matroxfb during that time. I plan to use fillrect and copyrect
> from generic code

I have ported the accelerated functions to the new api. What is left is to
deal with the loadfont and putcs issue which I'm working on the code right
now.

> (although it means unnecessary multiply on
> generic side, and division in matroxfb,

????

> but well, if we gave
> up on reasonable speed for fbdev long ago...).

This is not true. Several benchmarks have shown a large performance
improvement in 2.5.X.

> But I simply
> want loadfont and putcs hooks for character painting. And if
> fbdev maintainer does not want to give me them, well, then
> matroxfb and fbdev are not compatible.

Working on it. I starting with Tony's tileblit patch but I plan to expand
it even more i.e texture maps to draw fonts.

> (3) persuade me that I want to write matroxcon and forget about fbcon at all, or

This is the best solution.

> Besides that with that strange additional copy in accel_putcs
> I get much slower output than with 2.4.x... and although I

Again not true.

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 19:03     ` Jurriaan
From: Jurriaan @ 2003-02-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

From: Petr Vandrovec <vandrove@vc.cvut.cz>
Date: Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:29:41AM -0800

> You can get patch which reverts most of James's work at
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.59.gz.

For the record, this patch applies cleanly against 2.5.62, and I have a
very nice 1600x1200 framebuffer here right now. With the 12x22 font,
that means 133x54 - one of the biggest plusses of Linux for me.

Jurriaan
--
Perennial nuisance Charlton Heston pops up to declare that there are
"too many people on the Earth as it is" and one realizes instantly that as

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 18:29   ` Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-02-20 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:02:01PM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:09:33AM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
>
>  > New updates to the fbdev layer. You can grab the diff from
>  > http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz
>
> James,
>  Whats the current status with matroxfb ? Its been broken
> for months now, and hasn't seen any progress wrt getting it
> back on its feet.
>
> I understand Petr had some concerns with the new API, but
> *something* needs to be done to get this back up and running.
>
> I'd understand if this was a neglected hardly-used-by-anyone
> driver, but there's an awful lot of matrox cards out there.
>
> This was first reported broken way back in 2.5.53, but I believe
> was broken even longer before that.

Since 2.5.51, when rewrite came in...

You can get patch which reverts most of James's work at
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.59.gz.

I was for five weeks in U.S., so I did not do anything with
matroxfb during that time. I plan to use fillrect and copyrect
from generic code (although it means unnecessary multiply on
generic side, and division in matroxfb, but well, if we gave
up on reasonable speed for fbdev long ago...). But I simply
want loadfont and putcs hooks for character painting. And if
fbdev maintainer does not want to give me them, well, then
matroxfb and fbdev are not compatible.

I refuse to remove features from matroxfb driver, and textmode
support is one of current features (needed and required to be
able to run VMware on fullscreen - and as main part of my
job happens in VMware...). So there is couple of choices:
(1) new maintainer, or
(2) remove matroxfb from kernel, or
(3) persuade me that I want to write matroxcon and forget about fbcon at all, or
(4) something else I do not know about.

Besides that with that strange additional copy in accel_putcs
I get much slower output than with 2.4.x... and although I
understand that for 2.6.x we'll all have faster computers than
we had for 2.4.x, I still think that speed should be primary
concern, and code extensibility and readability secondary.
But well, I told it dozens of time, so why I bother. I do
not want to end up as Larry.
					Petr Vandrovec
					vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 15:10 ` Ivan Kokshaysky
From: Ivan Kokshaysky @ 2003-02-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:09:33AM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
> <jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/19 1.913.1.1)
> using standard macros for vgacon.c.

Unfortunately, this makes vgacon on non-legacy platforms where
the I/O port address doesn't fit in unsigned short almost
unfixable. :-(

Ivan.

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 15:07   ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-02-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> James,
>  Whats the current status with matroxfb ? Its been broken
> for months now, and hasn't seen any progress wrt getting it
> back on its feet.
>
> I understand Petr had some concerns with the new API, but
> *something* needs to be done to get this back up and runn

I have a newer driver but its not finished. The last month I
have focused on finding work instead.

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20 15:02 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-02-20 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:09:33AM +0000, James Simmons wrote:

 > New updates to the fbdev layer. You can grab the diff from
 > http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

James,
 Whats the current status with matroxfb ? Its been broken
for months now, and hasn't seen any progress wrt getting it
back on its feet.

I understand Petr had some concerns with the new API, but
*something* needs to be done to get this back up and running.

I'd understand if this was a neglected hardly-used-by-anyone
driver, but there's an awful lot of matrox cards out there.

This was first reported broken way back in 2.5.53, but I believe
was broken even longer before that.

		Dave

--
| Dave Jones.        http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

* RE: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20  1:40 Lawrence Lee (Shanghai)
From: Lawrence Lee (Shanghai) @ 2003-02-20  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

unsubscribe linux-kernel

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20  1:22   ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-02-20  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> James Simmons wrote:
> > New updates to the fbdev layer. You can grab the diff from
> >
> > http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz
> >
> > or do a pull
> >
> > 	bk pull http://gkernel.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5
>

> You need to fix your script...

Oops. Sorry folks. I meant http://fbdev.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5

* Re: FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20  1:17 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-02-20  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Simmons wrote:
> New updates to the fbdev layer. You can grab the diff from
>
> http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz
>
> or do a pull
>
> 	bk pull http://gkernel.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5

You need to fix your script...

I do not think you posted your BK repo at "gkernel" ;-)

	Jeff

* FBdev updates.
@ 2003-02-20  1:09 James Simmons
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: James Simmons @ 2003-02-20  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

New updates to the fbdev layer. You can grab the diff from

http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

or do a pull

	bk pull http://gkernel.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5

This will update the following files:

 drivers/video/maxinefb.h                   |   37
 drivers/video/pm2fb.h                      |  218 ---
 drivers/video/pm3fb.h                      | 1284 --------------------
 drivers/video/pmag-ba-fb.h                 |   24
 drivers/video/pmagb-b-fb.h                 |   32
 drivers/video/sstfb.h                      |  355 -----
 arch/mips64/Kconfig                        |    4
 arch/ppc/syslib/prom.c                     |    3
 arch/ppc/syslib/prom_init.c                |   28
 arch/ppc64/kernel/prom.c                   |   27
 drivers/char/vt.c                          |    8
 drivers/video/Kconfig                      |   17
 drivers/video/Makefile                     |    3
 drivers/video/aty/atyfb.h                  |   86 -
 drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c             | 1804 ++++++++++++++---------------
 drivers/video/aty/mach64_accel.c           |   51
 drivers/video/aty/mach64_ct.c              |  356 +++--
 drivers/video/aty/mach64_cursor.c          |    4
 drivers/video/aty/mach64_gx.c              |   18
 drivers/video/aty128fb.c                   |  162 +-
 drivers/video/cfbcopyarea.c                |   42
 drivers/video/cfbfillrect.c                |   12
 drivers/video/cfbimgblt.c                  |  100 -
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.c              |  333 -----
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.h              |    3
 drivers/video/console/newport_con.c        |   69 -
 drivers/video/console/vgacon.c             |  673 +++++-----
 drivers/video/fbmem.c                      |  306 ++--
 drivers/video/fbmon.c                      |    3
 drivers/video/hgafb.c                      |    9
 drivers/video/i810/i810.h                  |    9
 drivers/video/i810/i810_accel.c            |  150 +-
 drivers/video/i810/i810_main.c             |  486 ++-----
 drivers/video/i810/i810_main.h             |   14
 drivers/video/logo/Kconfig                 |   67 +
 drivers/video/logo/Makefile                |   27
 drivers/video/logo/logo.c                  |  100 +
 drivers/video/logo/logo_dec_clut224.ppm    | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.ppm  | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_mono.pbm     |  202 +++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_vga16.ppm    | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_mac_clut224.ppm    | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_parisc_clut224.ppm | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_sgi_clut224.ppm    | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_sun_clut224.ppm    | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_superh_clut224.ppm | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_superh_mono.pbm    |  202 +++
 drivers/video/logo/logo_superh_vga16.ppm   | 1603 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/video/maxinefb.c                   |    2
 drivers/video/modedb.c                     |    8
 drivers/video/neofb.c                      |   81 -
 drivers/video/pm2fb.c                      |    2
 drivers/video/pm3fb.c                      |    3
 drivers/video/pmag-ba-fb.c                 |    2
 drivers/video/pmagb-b-fb.c                 |    2
 drivers/video/radeonfb.c                   |    1
 drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c                 |  323 ++---
 drivers/video/riva/nv_driver.c             |  156 ++
 drivers/video/riva/rivafb.h                |    2
 drivers/video/sgivwfb.c                    |  192 ++-
 drivers/video/skeletonfb.c                 |    6
 drivers/video/sstfb.c                      |   14
 drivers/video/tdfxfb.c                     |    6
 drivers/video/tgafb.c                      |    2
 drivers/video/tridentfb.c                  |    2
 drivers/video/vga16fb.c                    |  127 +-
 include/linux/fb.h                         |   19
 include/linux/linux_logo.h                 | 1435 -----------------------
 include/video/mach64.h                     |   61
 include/video/maxinefb.h                   |   37
 include/video/pm3fb.h                      | 1284 ++++++++++++++++++++
 include/video/pmag-ba-fb.h                 |   24
 include/video/pmagb-b-fb.h                 |   32
 include/video/sgivw.h                      |   40
 include/video/sstfb.h                      |  355 +++++
 include/video/vga.h                        |   16
 scripts/Makefile                           |    4
 scripts/pnmtologo                          |binary
 scripts/pnmtologo.c                        |  498 ++++++++

through these ChangeSets:

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/19 1.913.1.3)
   [FBDEEV] Need to add support to build pnmtologo.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/19 1.913.1.1)
   Removed obsolete functions in fbcon.c and re-enabled mapping console(s) to a framebuffer device. A few compile fixes for rivafb and using standard macros for vgacon.c.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/16 1.913)
   [FBDEV] Data in struct fb_image is now const.

   [FBDEV] Updates to the logo code. We seperated it into two functions.

   [I810 FBDEV] Updates to the driver. PCI hooks for PCI supsend and resume to save the AGP GART mapping during power saving.

   [ATY 128] Add proper support for two graphics cards. Also added support for two more models of the Rage 128.

   [SGIVW FBDEV] Updates for the SGI Visual Workstation framebuffer.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/13 1.910)
   [LOGO] New better logo code.

   [FBDEV] Moved a few more header files.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/11 1.909)
   [FBCON] Removal of useless code.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/11 1.906)
   [ATY FBDEV] Reversed mobilty patches. They busted every other card.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/02/09 1.900)
   [ATY FBDEV] Updates to support Rage Mobility Chipstes.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/30 1.899)
   [RIVA FBDEV] SUpprot Directcolor mode. Needed for some cards.

<jsimmons@kozmo.(none)> (03/01/28 1.897)
   [NEOMAGIC FBDEV] Fix to work with no 21xx versions of the chip.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/28 1.889.52.3)
   [RADEON FBDEV] Add cursor support. Now the cursor is back.
   [RIVA FBDEV] Added support for interlace mode and are now using TRUECOLOR instead of DIRECTCOLOR. Setting the graphics card in DIRECTCOLOR confusses the X server.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/26 1.889.52.2)
   Accel rountines pass in constant data into each function. The reason being was some of the code in the upper layers depended on the data being passed to the low level function not be altered because the upper layers was altering the data themselves.

   Pan display fix for fbcon.c. p->vrow needed to be updated.

   PPC build fix for fbmon.c

   I810 fbdev updates.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/17 1.889.52.1)
   [GENERIC ACCELERATION] Fixed the generic image drawing function tfor 64 bit machines.

   [RIVA FBDEV] The cursor and imageblit functions have been fixed.

* Re: fbdev updates
@ 2002-06-18 20:22 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2002-06-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:16:26PM -0700, James Simmons wrote:
> If anyone sent me updates in the last 14 days for the fbdev layer please
> send them again. I had a sync problem and then I attempted to fix it all
> my work got blown away for the last week by BK. I guess BK needs ALOT more
> work in this area.

Hmm.  Can you be more specific than "blown away"?  BK is careful to a fault
about not deleting your data.  Unless you did a "rm -rf my_repo" it's hard
to imagine that you lost anything.  How about you contact me offline and we'll
see if you changes are actually still there?
--
---

* fbdev updates
@ 2002-06-18 20:16 James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2002-06-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

If anyone sent me updates in the last 14 days for the fbdev layer please
send them again. I had a sync problem and then I attempted to fix it all
my work got blown away for the last week by BK. I guess BK needs ALOT more
work in this area.

   . ---
   |o_o |
   |:_/ |   Give Micro$oft the Bird!!!!
  //   \ \  Use Linux!!!!
 (|     | )
 /'\_   _/`\
 \___)=(___/

* Re: fbdev updates.
@ 2002-06-05 16:50 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2002-06-05 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:39:48AM -0700, James Simmons wrote:
> Since no one has complianed for some time I like to push the next set of
> changes to Linus. Anyone with objections please give a yell.

A small suggestion - could you post diffstat -p1 output with your patch
announcements please?

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

* fbdev updates.
@ 2002-06-05 16:39 James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2002-06-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since no one has complianed for some time I like to push the next set of
changes to Linus. Anyone with objections please give a yell.

   . ---
   |o_o |
   |:_/ |   Give Micro$oft the Bird!!!!
  //   \ \  Use Linux!!!!