* Re: nforce2 lockups
@ 2003-08-18  8:04 kenton.groombridge
From: kenton.groombridge @ 2003-08-18  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Dreker; +Cc: Jussi Laako, Alistair J Strachan, Clock, linux-kernel

It seems that the kernel recognizes all nforce2 chipsets as revision 162.  That is my bad since I found that seemed to be a common denominator.  Taking shots in the dark. :^)

I will tell you that I know it isn't related to bad hardware.  I used a program that I borrowed from my office (not a cheap program, and it is thorough).  It has loopback plugs for USB, serial, parallel, CDs, etc.  I put in all the loopback plugs and CD, and ran burnin diagnostics nightly for about five days.  It made a total of about 30 complete loops through the hardware.  No problems.  Loaded "the other OS" (I like that) and ran it for three days straight with two different hardware banging programs running and there were no problems.  Ran memtest86 overnight, cycled through the memory a good dozen times, no problems.

I start loading Mandrake 9.1, locks up within the install.  If I am lucky enough to get it installed, it is doomed to lock up in three to five minutes of use.  I have tried every kernel/patch that I know (2.4, 2.6 all with acpi, akmp, pre, bk).  Nothing has helped.  Longest run time, about six hours (because I didn't touch it).

This is a hunch: is it possible that gcc is compiling something a bit wrong?  I know that some instructions when processed in a certain order, can do some wacky things.  Maybe a gcc bug is causing the Athlon processor to caculate some instructions in the right sequence where it sometimes works, and other times doesn't.

The reason I say this, is that I have read a few posts where one person had lock-ups with one distro and not the other.  Kernels are pretty much the same (I think we are all downloading the latest kernel source and building our own kernels), but gcc is different.

Haven't tried it yet, since I am working a project 24/7 that will keep me until the end of the month.  Purchased the Athlon XP Gentoo 1.4 CDs, so will load then and may get some different results.

Ken

From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2003-08-23 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: patrick; +Cc: kenton.groombridge, linux-kernel

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:48:06 +0200, Patrick Dreker <patrick@dreker.de> wrote:
>Am Samstag, 23. August 2003 14:20 schrieb Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se>
>zum Thema Re: nforce2 lockups:
>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:41:46 +0900, kenton.groombridge@us.army.mil wrote:
>> Passing nolapic to a kernel which doesn't recognise it causes it to
>> simply be passed through to init, with no error message.
>> So either you used non-standard versions of 2.4.22-rc2/2.6.0-test3,
>> or nolapic wasn't the thing that fixed your nforce2 board.
>It probably was a combination of the other measures mentioned in my mail then.
>I have (had) the same problems, and one has to completely avoid the local
>APIC it seems. Passing noapic and disabling APIC Mode in the BIOS did not do
>that (2.6.0-test3 + acpi20030730).
>> "noapic" (note: no "l") might very well fix your board, but that's
>see above. noapic had no effect on the freezes. On boot it still said "found
>and enabling local APIC"

Of course it did. "noapic" and BIOS APIC mode relate to the I/O-APIC,
not the local APIC.

My guess is that your BIOS or graphics card can't handle the local
APIC, presumably due to a crap SMM# handler or you using APM's
CPU_IDLE or DISPLAY_BLANK options.

So the solution for your board is to forcibly avoid the local APIC.
A DMI blacklist entry would do that, as would configuring the
kernel without local APIC support (!SMP && !UP_APIC).

Kernel 2.6.0-test4 supports "nolapic", so that's an option too.
I'll send that patch to Marcelo for 2.4.23-pre so it should be
in 2.4 eventually.

As for getting the DMI blacklist rule in, you or someone else
with that board has to run dmidecode and prepare & test a patch.

/Mikael

* Re: nforce2 lockups
@ 2003-08-23 12:20 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2003-08-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kenton.groombridge, patrick; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:41:46 +0900, kenton.groombridge@us.army.mil wrote:
>I had done this before but without the nolapic option.  That appears to have been the solution.  Ran a whole day without one lockup where before 10 minutes was rarely achieved.
>It looks like the nolapic kernel parameter was just recently introduced.  I tried it in both the 2.4.22-rc2 kernel and the 2.6.0-test3 kernel with success in both.
>
>Would still like apic to be completely fixed in the nforce2 chipsets, but I am just happy to have a working system again.

"nolapic" does not exist in standard 2.4.22-rc2 or 2.6.0-test3 kernels.
The patch which added nolapic support was included in 2.6.0-test3-bk8,
and 2.6.0-test<2or3>-mm<something> before that.

Passing nolapic to a kernel which doesn't recognise it causes it to
simply be passed through to init, with no error message.
So either you used non-standard versions of 2.4.22-rc2/2.6.0-test3,
or nolapic wasn't the thing that fixed your nforce2 board.

"noapic" (note: no "l") might very well fix your board, but that's
a completely different animal: it disables the I/O-APIC, which
handles board-level interrupt routing. In a kernel that supports it,
"nolapic" effectively also disables the I/O-APIC.

acpi=off or pci=noacpi might also fix the board, if ACPI is busted.

/Mikael

* Re: nforce2 lockups
@ 2003-08-23  1:41 kenton.groombridge
From: kenton.groombridge @ 2003-08-23  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Dreker; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thank you!!!

I had done this before but without the nolapic option.  That appears to have been the solution.  Ran a whole day without one lockup where before 10 minutes was rarely achieved.

I don't know if you knew I had a $20 reward for the fix, but it looks like you got it.

Going to run a few more days just to be sure, but send me your address and I will send you the $20 after stressing my system a bit more.

It looks like the nolapic kernel parameter was just recently introduced.  I tried it in both the 2.4.22-rc2 kernel and the 2.6.0-test3 kernel with success in both.

Would still like apic to be completely fixed in the nforce2 chipsets, but I am just happy to have a working system again.

Thanks again,
Ken

From: kenton.groombridge @ 2003-08-21  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I downloaded and applied the acpi patch patch_2.4.22-rc2_to_acpi-2.4-20030813.bz2 from:

and it did cure my spurious interrupt problem, but unfortunately, my lockups have returned.

It is strange that kernel 2.4.22-rc2 had never locked up at all (only with apic enabled).  Ran it for a good week or so with absolutely no lockup (again, only with apic enabled).  I tried my best to make it lockup and it never did, but the spurious interrupts made any device that loaded with IRQ 16 and above pretty much worthless.  If I disabled apic, my lockups returned.

So there was something about 2.4.22-rc2 (with acpi enabled), that prevented lockups (but had tons os spurious interrupts).  Something in patch_2.4.22-rc2_to_acpi-2.4-20030813.bz2 cured the spurious interrupts, but brought back the lockups.

Ken Groombridge

[parent not found: <20030817233306.CC67A2D0074@beton.cybernet.src>]
[parent not found: <fa.ih2vscq.35m1rs@ifi.uio.no>]
[parent not found: <df962fdf9006.df9006df962f@us.army.mil>]