From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
To: Jonathan Lundell <linux@lundell-bros.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] 'the the' in mails ...
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:19:05 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:10:12 PDT, Jonathan Lundell <linux@lundell-bros.com>  said:
> At 2:32pm +0100 8/19/03, Alan Cox wrote:
> >On Maw, 2003-08-19 at 02:24, Herbert Pötzl wrote:
> >>  I know this is absolutely off topic, but
> >>  about 30 threads, in the last two months,
> >>  on lkml contain this strange construct,
> >>  and I'm worried that I miss something very
> >>  important ...
> >
> >Its a very common typo, especially at the end of a line.
>
> ...where for some reason it tends to be invisible.

Darn, my reply to this to Dave didn't go to the list, soo...

The field of "cognitive perception" deals with issues like this..

http://www.geocities.com/woras.geo/TASK.htm

http://ibs.derby.ac.uk/~kpat/Israel_cognitive/introduction.shtml

Basically, the average human mind is *very* good at discarding/altering
input that "doesn't make sense", and preconceived notions will over-ride what
you actually see.  This is why good proofreaders are so hard to find - most
of us will simply ignore that second "the" because it doesn't parse.