* 2.6: Synaptics TouchPad and GPM (GPM patches)
@ 2003-08-23  2:46 Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2003-08-23  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

Apologies for the semi-offtopic message but ever since support for
Synaptics' absolute mode went in many people complained that it
broke GPM.

I did some work on extending evdev support in GPM, the new protocol
implementation supports following subtypes:

1. relative device - standard relative device like generic PS/2 mouse
   reporting via /dev/input/eventX
2. absolute device - touch screens and tablets.
3. touchpad - device reporting absolute coordinates and pressure via
   /dev/input/event, GPM recognizes normal and corner tapping.
4. synaptics - same as touchpad but also supports multi-finger taps
   (expects MSC_GESTURE messages from the kernel).

Kernel has to support EV_SYNC for touchpad and synaptics support,
relative and absolute modes can be used with 2.4 kernels by specifying
nosync option.

You will find the patches at:
http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/patches/

RPMs (binary and source) built on RH8 are at:
http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/RPMS/

The README is at:
http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/gpm.html

The patches work pretty well for me and I hope they will work for others too.
Because of limited hardware I could not test evdev with touchscreen or a
tablet.

Dmitry.

* Re: 2.6: Synaptics TouchPad and GPM (GPM patches)
@ 2003-08-23  5:46 ` Joshua Kwan
From: Joshua Kwan @ 2003-08-23  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> You will find the patches at:
> http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/patches/

Could you put a cumulative patch up as well?

Joshua Kwan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 827 bytes --]

* Re: 2.6: Synaptics TouchPad and GPM (GPM patches)
@ 2003-08-26  7:45 ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2003-08-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the semi-offtopic message but ever since support for
> Synaptics' absolute mode went in many people complained that it
> broke GPM.
>
> I did some work on extending evdev support in GPM, the new protocol
> implementation supports following subtypes:
>
> 1. relative device - standard relative device like generic PS/2 mouse
>    reporting via /dev/input/eventX
> 2. absolute device - touch screens and tablets.
> 3. touchpad - device reporting absolute coordinates and pressure via
>    /dev/input/event, GPM recognizes normal and corner tapping.
> 4. synaptics - same as touchpad but also supports multi-finger taps
>    (expects MSC_GESTURE messages from the kernel).
>
> Kernel has to support EV_SYNC for touchpad and synaptics support,
> relative and absolute modes can be used with 2.4 kernels by specifying
> nosync option.

You should not need any options for this - it's all queryable via ioctls ...

> You will find the patches at:
> http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/patches/
>
> RPMs (binary and source) built on RH8 are at:
> http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/RPMS/
>
> The README is at:
> http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/gpm/gpm.html
>
> The patches work pretty well for me and I hope they will work for others too.
> Because of limited hardware I could not test evdev with touchscreen or a
> tablet.
>
> Dmitry.
> -

Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

* Re: 2.6: Synaptics TouchPad and GPM (GPM patches)
@ 2003-08-27  7:10   ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2003-08-27  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtech Pavlik; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 02:45 am, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> >
> > Kernel has to support EV_SYNC for touchpad and synaptics support,
> > relative and absolute modes can be used with 2.4 kernels by specifying
> > nosync option.
>
> You should not need any options for this - it's all queryable via ioctls

Done, along with implementing new type "auto" which selects best mode for
the device.

@ 2003-08-27 12:30     ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2003-08-27 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:10:14AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 02:45 am, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:46:56PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > >
> > > Kernel has to support EV_SYNC for touchpad and synaptics support,
> > > relative and absolute modes can be used with 2.4 kernels by specifying
> > > nosync option.
> >
> > You should not need any options for this - it's all queryable via ioctls
>
> Done, along with implementing new type "auto" which selects best mode for
> the device.

Cool.

You could even make it search for all mouse-like input devices ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR