* file system race condition testing
@ 2003-09-02  8:33 dan carpenter
From: dan carpenter @ 2003-09-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: shaggy

Racer is a bunch of shell scripts that I wrote to try find race conditions in
JFS code.  I have expanded them to be a general purpose race condition
tester.  The scripts also found a couple bugs XFS and Reiserfs in 2.6.0-test1
but those have been fixed in 2.6.0-test4.

How it works is that the scripts randomly creates files 0 - 20, renames them,
deletes them, and links to them etc.  If the filesystem survives for a couple
hours of beating that's considerred a pass.

The scripts are at:
http://kbugs.org/racer.tar.gz

Just use `./racer.sh` to run the scripts.  Obviously, you won't want to run
the script on a production system.

When I wrote the scripts I tried to think about all the different types of
operations that you can do on a file but I probably missed a lot of them.
Probably someone more familiar with filesystem code could provide useful
feedback.

thanks,
Dan Carpenter

* file system race condition testing
@ 2004-03-31  4:50 dan carpenter
From: dan carpenter @ 2004-03-31  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: ltp-list

Hi,

I wrote this script a while back.  It creates 20 files, 0 through 19,
and then shuffles them around, deletes and recreates them as fast as
possible.

It's a good way to test for race conditions.  I always run with
preempt turned on so that makes my system more sensitive to race
conditions.  Neither JFS or Reiserfs survived a whole night of testing
on my system.  It's a pretty grueling test...

http://67.113.20.209/racer.tar.gz

regards,
dan

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com