* How to choose between ip 2 identical ethernet cards
@ 2003-08-30  0:29 don fisher
From: don fisher @ 2003-08-30  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Sorry for a bit off topic.

I have a Dell 8200 laptop and a docking station, both with 3c905C
ethenet chips. I wish to use the 3c905c internal to the docking
station when the system is docked. Otherwise the 3c905c internal to
the 8200. In my office I would like to run with both eth0 and eth1,
but I need to be able to connect the correct interface to the correct
cable. The same module is loaded for both devices.

The HOWTOs I found all assumed you had old cards with fixed addresses.
These could be specified as options in modules.conf. From the Net-HOWTO:
         alias eth0 ne
         alias eth1 ne
         alias eth2 ne
         options ne io=0x220,0x240,0x300
But this does not seem to apply to the 3c59x driver. modinfo doesn't
even list "io" as a valid option.

I did find:
  1) in /proc/ioports, one of the devices is listed with "(#2)" after it.
  2) in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, one of the devices has
subDeviceId = 00d4, the other 00de.

I have tried changing the order of loading modules, along with a few
vain attempts in modules.conf. For info, this is a Redhat system.
Where is the definition as to which device will be associated with
eth0 made?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I did try to RTFM, I just can't
find the correct "fine manual";-)
thanks
don

|    Don Fisher				  dfisher@as.arizona.edu  |
|    Steward Observatory		  			  |
|    933 N. Cherry Ave.    		  VOICE: (520)621-7647	  |
|    University of Arizona		  FAX:   (520)621-9843    |
|    Tucson, AZ  85721                				  |

* Re: How to choose between ip 2 identical ethernet cards
@ 2003-08-30  0:46 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2003-08-30  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don fisher; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:29:29 PDT, don fisher <dfisher@as.arizona.edu>  said:

> I have tried changing the order of loading modules, along with a few
> vain attempts in modules.conf. For info, this is a Redhat system.
> Where is the definition as to which device will be associated with
> eth0 made?

'man nameif'

Works great, less filling - my Dell 840 has up to *4* ethernets (the onboard
built-in, the dock, the built-in wireless, and a Xircom card that's a combo
56k modem/100BaseT).

My /etc/mactab looks like this:

# Onboard 10/100 port
eth0 00:06:5b:b9:5e:27
# 10/100 port on Xircom 10/100/56K card
eth2 00:10:a4:9c:a8:86
# wireless card
wvlan0 00:02:2d:5c:11:48
eth1 00:02:2d:5c:11:48
# 10/100 port on dock...
eth3 00:06:5b:ea:8e:4e

(yes, there's 2 entries for the wireless - 2.4 kernel wants wvlanX, 2.6 calls it ethX.

The magic under a RedHat system happens in:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup

Hope that helps.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* RE: How to choose between ip 2 identical ethernet cards
@ 2003-08-30  1:24   ` David Schwartz
From: David Schwartz @ 2003-08-30  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis.Kletnieks, don fisher; +Cc: linux-kernel

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:29:29 PDT, don fisher
> <dfisher@as.arizona.edu>  said:

> The magic under a RedHat system happens in:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
>
> Hope that helps.

	Yep, quite painless. Just specify the mac address in the 'ifcfg-<name>'
configuration file.

	DS

* Re: How to choose between ip 2 identical ethernet cards
@ 2003-09-02 15:17 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-09-02 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don fisher; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:29:29 -0700 don fisher <dfisher@as.arizona.edu> wrote:

| Sorry for a bit off topic.
|
| I have a Dell 8200 laptop and a docking station, both with 3c905C
| ethenet chips. I wish to use the 3c905c internal to the docking
| station when the system is docked. Otherwise the 3c905c internal to
| the 8200. In my office I would like to run with both eth0 and eth1,
| but I need to be able to connect the correct interface to the correct
| cable. The same module is loaded for both devices.
|
| The HOWTOs I found all assumed you had old cards with fixed addresses.
| These could be specified as options in modules.conf. From the Net-HOWTO:
|          alias eth0 ne
|          alias eth1 ne
|          alias eth2 ne
|          options ne io=0x220,0x240,0x300
| But this does not seem to apply to the 3c59x driver. modinfo doesn't
| even list "io" as a valid option.
|
| I did find:
|   1) in /proc/ioports, one of the devices is listed with "(#2)" after it.
|   2) in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, one of the devices has
| subDeviceId = 00d4, the other 00de.
|
| I have tried changing the order of loading modules, along with a few
| vain attempts in modules.conf. For info, this is a Redhat system.
| Where is the definition as to which device will be associated with
| eth0 made?
|
| Any assistance would be appreciated. I did try to RTFM, I just can't
| find the correct "fine manual";-)
| thanks
| don

I did a mini-howto for 'nameif'.  URL is below.  Maybe it can
help you.

http://www.xenotime.net/linux/doc/network-interface-names.txt

--
~Randy