On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:42:20PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote: > On Thu, 4 September 2003 12:42:45 +0200, Fruhwirth Clemens wrote: > > Do some benchmarks on lots of different machines and measure the > performance of the asm and c code. If it's faster on PPro but not on > PIII or Athlon, forget about it. > > How big is the .text of the asm and c variant? If the text of yours > is much bigger, you just traded 2fish performance for general > performance. Everything else will suffer from cache misses. Forget > your microbenchmark, your variant will make the machine slower. Men! Why is everyone doubting the usefulness of assembler optimized parts? It's twice as fast on my Athlon. I assert the same is true for P3/P4. Just test. twofish-i586.ko's .text section is smaller than the kernel's twofish.ko's. 945 bytes to be precise. Please note that twofish-i586 includes TWO implementations: C and assembler. Just think about how much smaller it will be when I rip out the C part. So much for that. > How many bugs are in your code? 42... Is this a serious question? > Are there any buffer overflows or other security holes? > How can you be sure about it? How can you be sure? Mathematical program verification applies quite badly to assembler. > If your code fails on any one of these questions, forget about it. If > it survives them, post your results and have someone else verify them. I'm sorry, your critique is too generel to be useful. Regards, Clemens