On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:46:12 PDT, Linus Torvalds said: > Has anybody checked out whether the kernel works with -mregparm=3? I > forget who did a lot of the work on it originally, and it certainly _used_ > to work fine. The improvements to both code size and performance were, if > I remember correctly, measurable but not huge. It works well enough that my laptop made it to initlevel 3. The code size wasn't drastically smaller (perhaps another 2-3% but I already compile with -Os). The system "felt" snappier, but I have no benchmark numbers to give. I could probably get some numbers if anybody cares, but there's a showstopper for me - I can't make it to initlevel 5 easily: > One worry (apart from just broken compilers and missing "asmlinkage" > annotations) is that having compiler-version-dependent calling conventions > makes for another variable to take into account when chasing down bugs and > worrying about things like the Nvidia module etc. So it's probably not > worth doing unless the advantages are clear. Quite correct - even after recompiling the sourced portions of the NVidia driver, it dies a horrid death on 'insmod' when the closed-source portion passes a parameter on the stack and the open side expects the value in a register, and follows the register value to a quick death.... Yes, yes, I know, I could re-try with the open-source nv driver instead of the closed-source NVidia driver - but the open-source one costs me more in performance (as it's unaccelerated) than the mregparm=3 is likely to get me back....